Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking at the Model X Long Range Plus which has an advertised range of 348 miles at 100% compared to the Raven Long Range which is advertised as having 315 miles at 100%.

I’ve just stumbled across the 100D and that is advertised as having a range of 351 miles at 100%.

This seems strange that the 100D has a longer advertised range than a Long Range Plus.

Is that really the case?

I realise that it’s all about how you drive but I’m guessing that in theory if you put a 2020 Raven Long Range (315 miles) side by side with a 100D (351 miles) and drove them both at 65 mph on the motorway then the 100D should travel further, is that right or wrong?

Years matter...
Not sure where u get those numbers but have a look at used inventory at Tesla.com, they list all the EPA ranges
100D never had that, it was 295mi
Ok, thanks.

Was getting my numbers from the auto fill details on Autotrader. If you search for Model X Long Range they all show as 315 miles, Long Range Plus show as 348 Miles and the 100D shows as 351 miles.
I have done some more digging and it seems that maybe they use the NEDC figures on the 100D for some reason which is quite misleading.

Attachments

• IMG_7393.jpg
    IMG_7393.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 184
Here is another example, on one car they are using the NEDC rating and in the car next to it they are using the WLTP rating.
It's due to the Model year. They display the estimated range using the test protocol that was legally required at the time of first registration.
WLTP replaced NEDC in 2020.

WLTP tends to be more conservative for EVs. Shaving off 10% or 30 miles in this case would make sense. It's also closer to 'real world' values .

Reactions: Jerryjal
Any Model X Will hit about 3 miles per kWh at 70mph in summer. 100D have around 90-95kWh usable, so rea life range will be just under 300 miles.

In winter expect closer to 2.5 miles per kWh with expected drop in range.

80mph+ really kills efficiency, I've seen 1.5-2 miles per kWh at autoban speeds in our 75D X (standard range).

It can also be due to the tires fitted. Larger tires reduce rated range.

The 22inch wheels reduce range by about 3-5% in my experience on a long trip. Barely noticeable, however the ride is substantially worse on my pre-raven X, as is road noise.

Raven cars should behave better with 22inch wheels, but on pre Raven cars, the slight loss in range, worse ride, and noise intrusion makes them pretty unbearable to live with day to day.

100D is EPA 295, NEDC 351

I have late 2017 P100DL with EPA 289.
Car says around 2015 at 80% charge so 250 at 100%.
Real world driving with a performance model will be more like 200-220 due to temp, wind, A/C, sentry, etc.
That's if you don't use ludicrous (+) often of course.

ev-database.org and evcompare.io are good resources for tech specs of each model.

I have been looking at the Model X Long Range Plus which has an advertised range of 348 miles at 100% compared to the Raven Long Range which is advertised as having 315 miles at 100%.

I’ve just stumbled across the 100D and that is advertised as having a range of 351 miles at 100%.

This seems strange that the 100D has a longer advertised range than a Long Range Plus.

Is that really the case?

I realise that it’s all about how you drive but I’m guessing that in theory if you put a 2020 Raven Long Range (315 miles) side by side with a 100D (351 miles) and drove them both at 65 mph on the motorway then the 100D should travel further, is that right or wrong?
My long term consumption according to the car, is about 400 Wh/mile. Mind you I had a computer swap done around 25,000 miles ago. Car at almost 90,000 miles. All weathers, towing, highway, London, you name it. 100D, late 2017