Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Tesla 20" Slipstream Winter Wheels - Tyre Size Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I just got MX winter wheels fitted by Tesla Brussels yesterday. When I got home I was surprised to see that both front and back had 255/45 profile Scorpion tyres, which seems to be inconsistent with Tesla's own specification.

Here's what it said on the invoice: 20" SLIPSTREAM and staggered Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tire Package [EU Only]- Conti (1109828-00-A)

And the wheel on US website (can't find for Europe): Model X 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package
  • 2 x 20X9.0 Slipstream wheels
  • 2 x 20X10.0 Slipstream wheels
  • 2 x 265/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion winter tires
  • 2 x 275/45/20 - Pirelli Scorpion winter tires
So the ones I have don't seem correct and neither staggered. I've emailed service today to query it, but it seems odd to me.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Cheers

From the manual in Dutch though(page 165), 4 of the same size:

upload_2017-10-21_16-30-44.png

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67
Hi Folks

So to close this...

I did look in the owner manual and couldn't find anything specific on winter tyre sizes, but everywhere was stating staggered sizes. I put this again to Tesla and they acquiesced, the rears were swapped for 275/55 this morning. Car was feeling OK on the 255's, but feels better on the 275's. Cosmetically it's much better too, the others didn't look right.

@freekvanelswijk, The tyres as Pirelli Scorpion and to my ears sound like typical winter tyres, so giving more road-noise than summer tyres. Whether they're quieter than other winter tyres it's difficult to say, perhaps better than the Pirelli Sottozeros I has on my P85, they were really disturbing. Maybe when they've worn-in they'll get better, or worse, no idea...

Interesting info is that I asked about getting the wheels painted for next year and Brussels SC told me they'll have their own facility to do this sort of thing next year. No doubt will be more expensive the 3rd-party services, but will come with warranty...

Cheers

Reactions: Phil_BE and ebullio
Hi Folks

So to close this...

I did look in the owner manual and couldn't find anything specific on winter tyre sizes, but everywhere was stating staggered sizes. I put this again to Tesla and they acquiesced, the rears were swapped for 275/55 this morning. Car was feeling OK on the 255's, but feels better on the 275's. Cosmetically it's much better too, the others didn't look right.

@freekvanelswijk, The tyres as Pirelli Scorpion and to my ears sound like typical winter tyres, so giving more road-noise than summer tyres. Whether they're quieter than other winter tyres it's difficult to say, perhaps better than the Pirelli Sottozeros I has on my P85, they were really disturbing. Maybe when they've worn-in they'll get better, or worse, no idea...

Interesting info is that I asked about getting the wheels painted for next year and Brussels SC told me they'll have their own facility to do this sort of thing next year. No doubt will be more expensive the 3rd-party services, but will come with warranty...

Cheers
hi I think we met at the SC cheers

Reactions: Tslynk67