Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Flapping in front end during wind gusts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model Y. It is very windy and gust today and I noticed a flapping sound coming from the front end when big wind gusts come up. I looked underneath and the aero cover appears with quick inspection. I cannot get under to see the full length

Couple questions:
  • Has anyone experienced something similar?
  • I did have the car in for new tires and wheel alignment nearly two weeks ago. Would the mechanics have needed to remove any of the underside aero covers to perform an alignment?
Thank you!

I doubt the louvers are capable of “flapping”. They pivot to open and close and likely can’t flap at even the max speed of the Y.

The underbody shield up front is likely missing some fasteners in the back and at high simulated air speeds (gusts), there’s enough turbulence to make it flap. What else could it be? The frunk liner? A frunk trim panel under the hood?

You could take your Y in and have it inspected if you have the time, or invest in a jack and pucks, or just park with one wheel on a curb and crawl under for a better look. Check out the online service manual to see where those fasteners are if you need a reference. Of use your phone and a selfie stick to reach under to record video or send to your Apple Watch or another phone or iPad.

Possibly. They may have removed or loosened it to access things to make adjustments, and then if they reused any of those plastic nylon fasteners they can and do fall out and do not like to be reused.

If you can’t get underneath, it needs to be inspected by someone. It won’t heal itself.