Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Auto Dimming Side Mirrors - Backwards compatible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely impossible in the short term, unless you can get hold of an engineer who can do direct modifications to the config.

i fitted a heated steering wheel to my 2020 M3P, managed to get a tech to show me on a tablet a list of all the coded options (there were lots, possibly hundreds, not just the obvious stuff), and I could see that my car said “DISABLED” against the heated steering wheel code. The tech could not see a way to change it, and my attempts to escalate it thus far have been fruitless.

• Informative
Reactions: gunthermic
Well, the good news is parts fit as expected, connector worked, full opening/closing and mirror controls, etc. The bad news is dimming did not activate when I tested it tonight. I suspect it's the same as when I added the pedestrian speaker, connections are there but the computer is not aware and is not providing the command/signals. Dimming in 3/Y is actually done by the computer, not by light sensors( there's a thread about it around here), etc... :( sigh...
I installed 2021.24.4 on my M3P last night, checked the release notes this morning and was surprised to see that “Mirror Auto Dim” configurability was listed.

Normally features that don’t apply to my car (e.g. battery range recalculations, etc) simply don’t appear in the release notes and I get a truncated version of them.

Sure enough, under Controls > Mirrors I have a toggle for “Mirror Auto Dim” now.

Now, I’m pretty certain I don’t have dimming capable mirrors, as they’ve never dimmed, so I don’t think they’re suddenly going to be switched on, but I am curious if yours might suddenly work now @mac9899 ?

I installed 2021.24.4 on my M3P last night, checked the release notes this morning and was surprised to see that “Mirror Auto Dim” configurability was listed.

Normally features that don’t apply to my car (e.g. battery range recalculations, etc) simply don’t appear in the release notes and I get a truncated version of them.

Sure enough, under Controls > Mirrors I have a toggle for “Mirror Auto Dim” now.

Now, I’m pretty certain I don’t have dimming capable mirrors, as they’ve never dimmed, so I don’t think they’re suddenly going to be switched on, but I am curious if yours might suddenly work now @mac9899 ?
I saw that too. Both of our MY’s got that auto-dim toggle. But my mirrors don‘t seem to dim. 023xxx and 035xxx VINs.

I saw that too. Both of our MY’s got that auto-dim toggle. But my mirrors don‘t seem to dim. 023xxx and 035xxx VINs.
I assume though that you don't actually have the auto dimming mirrors installed correct? Mac9899 installed the auto dimming mirror, but it didn't work, so the wonder/hope is that with the latest update did it potentially enable the hardware. Or could it also be that Tesla is getting around to offering an auto-dimming mirror retrofit kit....

If you don't already have dimming mirror hardware then that option won't do anything. I suspect it might affect the rear view mirror, which has always been dimmable. Would've been great if it had unlocked some hidden hardware though :)

Nothing on my end (heated wheel).

I'm probably going to retrofit the dimming wing mirrors, because I'm keen to dechrome my car the proper way over a period of time. I'm obviously not going to drive around with a mixture of parts :)

As said previously, when I took my car to the local SC the guy showed me on a tablet a list of configuration options for it. One of those said:

"Steering Wheel Heating Enabled (115): DISABLED"

I can't be certain that this setting would show for every Model 3, or whether the car "sees" the heated steering wheel but it has not been activated (like 2021 SR+). Until such time that Tesla graces those customers with the ability to unlock their heated steering wheel (which is certainly present in terms of hardware), then I don't forsee this moving forwards.

@mac9899 - have you made any progress in enabling your dimming mirrors? Did the recent update that enabled toggling of dimming do anything for you?

I've scored one dimming mirror, brand new, unfitted and pretty cheap. I just need to find the other side now :)

After paying Tesla full price for a heated steering wheel, instead of just getting one for <1/3 of the price from a breakers yard, I'm trying to save a bit of money on the remaining mirror.

I would be keen to know if @mac9899 has got any further enabling his.. he hasn't replied for a while :(

I'm wondering whether anyone besides me has got anywhere with this?

@mac9899 seems to have disappeared off the grid, not seen since June last year.

I realise there was only a short period where Tesla didn't do dimming side mirrors, but would have assumed there would be some people who were keen to retrofit this?

I'm wondering whether anyone besides me has got anywhere with this?

@mac9899 seems to have disappeared off the grid, not seen since June last year.

I realise there was only a short period where Tesla didn't do dimming side mirrors, but would have assumed there would be some people who were keen to retrofit this?
I replaced my June 2020 MY mirrors with Suma mirrors. There was one wire for the heater. The wire for auto-dim isn't there.

• Informative
Reactions: kayak1 and Durzel
I replaced my June 2020 MY mirrors with Suma mirrors. There was one wire for the heater. The wire for auto-dim isn't there.
I just had a thought about this.. you're talking about basically just replacing the mirror piece yourself, aren't you?

I have an entire wing mirror assembly, which essentially looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 18.40.34.png

Presumably if I fitted this there might be a chance that the blue connector has wires from the car side of that connector that would do the dimming?

I just had a thought about this.. you're talking about basically just replacing the mirror piece yourself, aren't you?

I have an entire wing mirror assembly, which essentially looks like this:

View attachment 762638

Presumably if I fitted this there might be a chance that the blue connector has wires from the car side of that connector that would do the dimming?
Yes, I was talking about replacing only the glass.

Reactions: Durzel