Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery Tomorrow!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally get to take delivery of my Model Y tomorrow, but have a couple of questions. Super excited, but also taming my expectations.

First of all, has anyone had difficulty with getting insurance providers to actually recognize the VIN number? Through both of my insurance companies, I was unable to complete the process online as the VIN wasn't recognized. I've had the VIN for about 3 weeks now? I suppose it could be a delay in a database update, but seemed weird

Second, I have watched more videos that I really needed to (Including a pack and motor tear downs) I have ended up making a checklist of things to verify before accepting the car. Is this really a necessary step?

Lastly, when did you guys recieve the mobile charging kit? I was told a couple of times that I would receive a code to order one, but that never actually came. I'm not super worried about charging at the moment as I have one close and at work which I drive to 3 times a week (hybrid for the win) and I barely drive on the weekends.

Super excited though, next plans are to setup some Grafana dashboards using Teslafi (Because I am kind of a data nerd)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I finally get to take delivery of my Model Y tomorrow, but have a couple of questions. Super excited, but also taming my expectations.

First of all, has anyone had difficulty with getting insurance providers to actually recognize the VIN number? Through both of my insurance companies, I was unable to complete the process online as the VIN wasn't recognized. I've had the VIN for about 3 weeks now? I suppose it could be a delay in a database update, but seemed weird

Second, I have watched more videos that I really needed to (Including a pack and motor tear downs) I have ended up making a checklist of things to verify before accepting the car. Is this really a necessary step?

Lastly, when did you guys recieve the mobile charging kit? I was told a couple of times that I would receive a code to order one, but that never actually came. I'm not super worried about charging at the moment as I have one close and at work which I drive to 3 times a week (hybrid for the win) and I barely drive on the weekends.

Super excited though, next plans are to setup some Grafana dashboards using Teslafi (Because I am kind of a data nerd)

Yes, you have a 2023 VIN so your insurance company likely does not have that in their DB yet. You have to call them and have them manually enter it in. They will need all the car's information + the actual cost of your vehicle for manual input. At least mine did (State Farm).

You can inspect the exterior before clicking accept delivery unless you get a nice SA that will let you inspect the inside of the car while you're there. There are lots of checklists available and they do help. It's crazy that you have to check through this yourself but it's best to go through them now vs. later. You can either reject or accept delivery then open a service ticket. Note that once you click accept, the car is basically yours and it'll be up to you and the service center to figure out how to resolve any open issues.

We bought ours in May so didn't get a code for the Mobile Charger. We had to buy it outright. We received that way before we received the car, lol.

Upvote 0
Yes, you have a 2023 VIN so your insurance company likely does not have that in their DB yet. You have to call them and have them manually enter it in. They will need all the car's information + the actual cost of your vehicle for manual input. At least mine did (State Farm).

You can inspect the exterior before clicking accept delivery unless you get a nice SA that will let you inspect the inside of the car while you're there. There are lots of checklists available and they do help. It's crazy that you have to check through this yourself but it's best to go through them now vs. later. You can either reject or accept delivery then open a service ticket. Note that once you click accept, the car is basically yours and it'll be up to you and the service center to figure out how to resolve any open issues.

We bought ours in May so didn't get a code for the Mobile Charger. We had to buy it outright. We received that way before we received the car, lol.
Thats good to know!! Yeah I also am working with State Farm and I ended up just calling them to get it worked out.

It is unfortunate that QA is still a big concern, but I had QA issues with my Malibu , although it is in a different price bracket than this car. Either way, I am really hoping that I don't find any issues with the car.

Yeah I ordered my car in June (which when I think about it, I cant believe I've been this patient lol)I'll probably bring it up with the SA tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Thats good to know!! Yeah I also am working with State Farm and I ended up just calling them to get it worked out.

It is unfortunate that QA is still a big concern, but I had QA issues with my Malibu , although it is in a different price bracket than this car. Either way, I am really hoping that I don't find any issues with the car.

Yeah I ordered my car in June (which when I think about it, I cant believe I've been this patient lol)I'll probably bring it up with the SA tomorrow.
If you ordered in June I don’t believe you’ll get a code for a credit to use for a charger. You’re on your own to purchase a mobile charger or wall charger.

Upvote 0

That's not bad at all, but yeah, Tesla ordering process can definitely test one's patience, haha.

Upvote 0

Double check ALL the tires. Mine had a big nail in it. I truly don't know how my eyes and brain decided to check those. They had to give a brand new tire.

Upvote 0
Hmm, that would kinda suck, they told me that I'd get a code a couple of different times via email and text, but maybe it was a miscommunication?

A redeem code is sent to your email for mobile connector, check your junk folder too. it is a promo code not a gift card code. It took me a few tries to figure that out.

I think that was only for orders prior to April 2022.

Reactions: Leeclanual
Upvote 0
I use a/my mobile charger for my primary charger (NEMA 14-50) but tbh we have had 3 Teslas total and used the charging cable on the road less than 5 times (I can’t say never but I also can’t think of a time we’ve used it so it’s been a loooong time) easily. It’s more for peace of mind but with the number of chargers out there (SC, other EV chargers and destination chargers) it’s almost completely not needed unless you need it as a charging solution.

Upvote 0