Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Dog Guard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So finally got round to fitting the guardsman and really happy with it. For £150 I was expecting good things and so far I’m not disappointed and glad I invested. Fitting took 5 mins and was so straightforward. Really well made and the matte black goes well with everything else. No rattles or squeaks on my test drive so far. I know it’s pricey but IMO well worth it.
Hi, my Model Y arrives next week and I had my eye on the Gaurdsman Guard and Divider.

Just noticed the website states you have to fit with the seats in the fully reclined position, which I can’t do as my son is 6’3”!

Have you ever tried moving the rear seat backrest to a more upright position with the guard fitted? Does it still fit / stay in place securely if so?

Cheers
Stu

Hi, my Model Y arrives next week and I had my eye on the Gaurdsman Guard and Divider.

Just noticed the website states you have to fit with the seats in the fully reclined position, which I can’t do as my son is 6’3”!

Have you ever tried moving the rear seat backrest to a more upright position with the guard fitted? Does it still fit / stay in place securely if so?

Cheers
Stu
Hi Stu
It won’t work. The guard relies on the tension created with the contact of the back of the rear seats against the lower tube to be secure. We had to choose one position for the seats to be set in so the Divider could marry up against the dog guard perfectly and this seemed to be the best option.
This also ensures that the force of any impact (hopefully never going to happen) is spread across the whole of the back of the rear seats as opposed to being concentrated on the headrests as with cheaper alternatives.

Hi Stu
It won’t work. The guard relies on the tension created with the contact of the back of the rear seats against the lower tube to be secure. We had to choose one position for the seats to be set in so the Divider could marry up against the dog guard perfectly and this seemed to be the best option.
This also ensures that the force of any impact (hopefully never going to happen) is spread across the whole of the back of the rear seats as opposed to being concentrated on the headrests as with cheaper alternatives.

I have the Guardsman dog guard in my Model Y, installed exactly as per instructions and with the rear seats in the right position. It’s a very good solution.

However, I’m finding that the rear seat belts have a problem, they do not retract / snap back when pulled out but stay loose. This seems quite random. Clearly a safety concern. Tesla mobile ranger came to check it and could not work out why this was the case but I’m wondering if the tension on the rear seats caused by the dog guard has anything to do with it? It doesn’t seem to be an issue when I remove the dog guard, although I need to test this theory more to understand if it’s simply a seat belt fault.

Anyone else with the Guardsman dog guard seeing this issue with the rear this seat belts?

I have the Guardsman dog guard in my Model Y, installed exactly as per instructions and with the rear seats in the right position. It’s a very good solution.

However, I’m finding that the rear seat belts have a problem, they do not retract / snap back when pulled out but stay loose. This seems quite random. Clearly a safety concern. Tesla mobile ranger came to check it and could not work out why this was the case but I’m wondering if the tension on the rear seats caused by the dog guard has anything to do with it? It doesn’t seem to be an issue when I remove the dog guard, although I need to test this theory more to understand if it’s simply a seat belt fault.

Anyone else with the Guardsman dog guard seeing this issue with the rear this seat belts?
No, sorry. I can’t help other than to say that I have the dog guard installed in my Y and it hasn’t affected the seatbelts at all.

Reactions: interbear
Hi, I wonder if anyone who bought the Guardsman trunk / boot divider could help me with this question…

If the divider is set at maximum height (keeping the screwed-in feet as long as possible during install), and then the rear-most foot (blue in photo) is temporarily fully screwed in to shorten it, does it allow enough clearance for the boot floor (red in photo) to fully slide out, (keeping it as flat as possible to minimise required clearance)?

Basically, I appreciate that the boot floor can’t be ‘hinged’ upwards with the divider, but can it still slide out to allow access to lower boot?

IMG_2529.jpeg

Hi, I wonder if anyone who bought the Guardsman trunk / boot divider could help me with this question…

If the divider is set at maximum height (keeping the screwed-in feet as long as possible during install), and then the rear-most foot (blue in photo) is temporarily fully screwed in to shorten it, does it allow enough clearance for the boot floor (red in photo) to fully slide out, (keeping it as flat as possible to minimise required clearance)?

Basically, I appreciate that the boot floor can’t be ‘hinged’ upwards with the divider, but can it still slide out to allow access to lower boot?

View attachment 1010632
I went ahead and bought the Guardsman Dog Guard and Boot (Trunk) Divider for my Model Y, and have managed to install it in such a way that the boot floor CAN be slid out to access the rear underfloor storage. I’ve captured a short video to demonstrate how this is possible. Hope this helps anyone else considering the boot divider!

Reactions: WannabeOwner