Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y insurance ..AAA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So shopping for insurance I inquired to a few carriers and received quotes from about 230 to 360/ a month. Yes I live in L.A. and rates are higher here but in all my years of driving, never an accident, ticket, or claim. Perfect record. so I decided to call AAA as I have their road service.
the agent mentioned that rates might be slightly higher for Tesla’s....... $657 a month!! We both had a good laugh. I heard that Costco sells car insurance? Anyone here have it?

• Disagree
Reactions: Natal
So shopping for insurance I inquired to a few carriers and received quotes from about 230 to 360/ a month. Yes I live in L.A. and rates are higher here but in all my years of driving, never an accident, ticket, or claim. Perfect record. so I decided to call AAA as I have their road service.
the agent mentioned that rates might be slightly higher for Tesla’s....... $657 a month!! We both had a good laugh. I heard that Costco sells car insurance? Anyone here have it?
Sweet mercy we have triple AAA too haven't had a chance to get around to asking them yet..

Parents have costco, it's called Ameriprise insurance. It's ok.

AAA is good because it's instant, they take care of you, and do all OEM parts only even if it costs more. Progressive, Farmers, Ameriprise, try and do it the cheap way. This is all from what the body shops tell me. I also got into an accident with Ameriprise and it was aftermarket shoddy work.

However, with AAA, they wanted the most expensive and best parts and was done alot faster.

Friend just got the MOdel 3 and was quoted 250 or 300 I forgot, for tesla insurance. I'm assuming the MY will be slightly more expensive?

Sweet mercy we have triple AAA too haven't had a chance to get around to asking them yet..

Parents have costco, it's called Ameriprise insurance. It's ok.

AAA is good because it's instant, they take care of you, and do all OEM parts only even if it costs more. Progressive, Farmers, Ameriprise, try and do it the cheap way. This is all from what the body shops tell me. I also got into an accident with Ameriprise and it was aftermarket shoddy work.

However, with AAA, they wanted the most expensive and best parts and was done alot faster.

Friend just got the MOdel 3 and was quoted 250 or 300 I forgot, for tesla insurance. I'm assuming the MY will be slightly more expensive?

Plan on leaving AAA, they dont want to insure teslas. I had AAA for everything (home, auto, umbrella) for like 15 years, before I got my model 3. I kept them for a couple years even though they were much higher than literally every other insurer, because I liked AAA, very good insurance company.

With that being said, I could not continue to pay significantly more per year for their auto insurance, and they also increased my home insurance since they re drew their maps and moved my home from outside a fire zone to inside it (of course my home itself didnt move).

I even called them to see if there was anything we could do to keep them since I was such a long time customer (and told them I was going to keep all my insurance together so losing me for auto ment losing me for everything) and there ended up being nothing we could do.

I am with Met Life atm, even though I found others cheaper, because I didnt want "bargain" insurance, and still wanted it all together.

TL ; DR .. .expect AAA in CA to be more expensive than just about anyone to insure a tesla, they dont want to insure them (at least AAA in california. As anyone who has had AAA for any length of time will know, they are a conglomeration of companies, not just one).

Its just like any other insurance in CA so you can switch at any time. The main difference is, its pretty easy to sign up online (very easy in fact).

They had decent rates too, but a couple things stopped me from signing up with tesla insurance.

1. I like all my insurance products with one company (home, auto, umbrella) and I have both a model 3 and an ICE vehicle still, that would not be able to be insured with tesla insurance. this ment I would have had to insure the model 3 separate from everything else.

2. I am not "tinfoil hat" guy, but I am in IT, and tend to be a fairly private person. I dont have a facebook account for example (by choice), dont really do social media other than some forums, set up my video game consoles to always display as if I am offline, etc. I did not like the idea of the company with all of the telemetry data for my car (tesla) also being the one who insured my car.

I dont drive recklessly or anything, but I do enjoy driving the back roads home every once in a while, for example. Just like I would never ( ever ever ever ever ever) get one of those ODB devices insurance companies offer to possibly reduce your rates (because I think they would also use it to either raise your rates, or say you were at fault because you were going 8 miles over the local speed limit), I didnt want tesla having that information and being my insurer.

So, because I didnt want tesla as my insurer and also having every single datapoint about where my car had been, is going etc, it ruled out tesla insurance for me. I know tesla has all those datapoints anyway, but they are not my insurer, and have no duty to provide that information to anyone but me from an insurance standpoint.

Others dont care much about that stuff, and tesla's rates seemed very competitive, so definitely something to consider if price is a concern and you are in an area they serve.

Plan on leaving AAA, they dont want to insure teslas. I had AAA for everything (home, auto, umbrella) for like 15 years, before I got my model 3. I kept them for a couple years even though they were much higher than literally every other insurer, because I liked AAA, very good insurance company.

With that being said, I could not continue to pay significantly more per year for their auto insurance, and they also increased my home insurance since they re drew their maps and moved my home from outside a fire zone to inside it (of course my home itself didnt move).

I even called them to see if there was anything we could do to keep them since I was such a long time customer (and told them I was going to keep all my insurance together so losing me for auto ment losing me for everything) and there ended up being nothing we could do.

I am with Met Life atm, even though I found others cheaper, because I didnt want "bargain" insurance, and still wanted it all together.

TL ; DR .. .expect AAA in CA to be more expensive than just about anyone to insure a tesla, they dont want to insure them (at least AAA in california. As anyone who has had AAA for any length of time will know, they are a conglomeration of companies, not just one).
Good to know. Same exact situation as you.

I believe Tesla INsurance may be a good idea. Also, Costco insurance isn't bad either.

Its just like any other insurance in CA so you can switch at any time. The main difference is, its pretty easy to sign up online (very easy in fact).

They had decent rates too, but a couple things stopped me from signing up with tesla insurance.

1. I like all my insurance products with one company (home, auto, umbrella) and I have both a model 3 and an ICE vehicle still, that would not be able to be insured with tesla insurance. this ment I would have had to insure the model 3 separate from everything else.

2. I am not "tinfoil hat" guy, but I am in IT, and tend to be a fairly private person. I dont have a facebook account for example (by choice), dont really do social media other than some forums, set up my video game consoles to always display as if I am offline, etc. I did not like the idea of the company with all of the telemetry data for my car (tesla) also being the one who insured my car.

I dont drive recklessly or anything, but I do enjoy driving the back roads home every once in a while, for example. Just like I would never ( ever ever ever ever ever) get one of those ODB devices insurance companies offer to possibly reduce your rates (because I think they would also use it to either raise your rates, or say you were at fault because you were going 8 miles over the local speed limit), I didnt want tesla having that information and being my insurer.

So, because I didnt want tesla as my insurer and also having every single datapoint about where my car had been, is going etc, it ruled out tesla insurance for me. I know tesla has all those datapoints anyway, but they are not my insurer, and have no duty to provide that information to anyone but me from an insurance standpoint.

Others dont care much about that stuff, and tesla's rates seemed very competitive, so definitely something to consider if price is a concern and you are in an area they serve.
Very thorough. Thank you. Like you, I have all of my insurance products in a single place. But I haven’t checked with AAA yet and have seen all the horror stories here. Thinking their quote won’t thrill me (and I’m nearly a 20 year customer....)

I kept my AAA membership, though. I am a 25 year member of AAA itself, but only had all the insurance in one place for about 15 years or so. Never had a claim in all that time, either. Was pretty frustrating, because even though I personally never had a claim with AAA, my daughter was hit by another driver in a car we bought for her, when she was still living with us (and we were still paying for her insurance at the time).

she was not at fault, But I had her go through AAA anyway and let them go after the other insured. I had her handle everything herself (she was 21 at the time) as a learning experience, saying I would be there if she ran into trouble. AAA treated her very well, including keeping her in the loop, rental car, etc, all without me having to intervene even once.

I have co workers that also had AAA and had accidents, and same experience. I really wanted to keep AAA because I trust them as an insurer. I even paid the upcharge in 2018 and 2018 (my model 3 is a 2018) over other insurance quotes, and it was a few hundred dollars more (not a few 10s of dollars more). Like 300+ more if I recall.

Last edited:
I kept my AAA membership, though. I am a 25 year member of AAA itself, but only had all the insurance in one place for about 15 years or so. Never had a claim in all that time, either. Was pretty frustrating, because even though I personally never had a claim with AAA, my daughter was hit by another driver in a car we bought for her, when she was still living with us (and we were still paying for her insurance at the time).

she was not at fault, But I had her go through AAA anyway and let them go after the other insured. I had her handle everything herself (she was 21 at the time) as a learning experience, saying I would be there if she ran into trouble. AAA treated her very well, including keeping her in the loop, rental car, etc, all without me having to intervene even once.

I have co workers that also had AAA and had accidents, and same experience. I really wanted to keep AAA because I trust them as an insurer. I even paid the upcharge in 2018 and 2018 (my model 3 is a 2018) over other insurance quotes, and it was a few hundred dollars more (not a few 10s of dollars more). Like 300+ more if I recall.
Again, thanks for great advice. So you’re still with AAA? If I’m looking at $300 over other options, that’s not too bad. As of tomorrow, I’ll have six cars and one house with them. I could justify that...

Do you mind sharing who you went with?

I dont mind sharing (I mentioned it earlier actually), but I went with Met Life. My job has a discount program for a lot of things, and one of them is insurance with either met life, travelers or liberty mutual. I never took advantage of it because I liked AAA even though it wasnt part of the program.

Of those three, Met Life was the overall cheapest (although travellers seemed to be cheaper for the model 3 specifically, met life was cheaper for my home and the umbrella with met life was cheaper too).

I only have 2 vehicles to insure but they are both pretty expensive to insure. My model 3 performance and my wifes 2019 X3 M40.

Reactions: Krock65
I dont mind sharing (I mentioned it earlier actually), but I went with Met Life. My job has a discount program for a lot of things, and one of them is insurance with either met life, travelers or liberty mutual. I never took advantage of it because I liked AAA even though it wasnt part of the program.

Of those three, Met Life was the overall cheapest (although travellers seemed to be cheaper for the model 3 specifically, met life was cheaper for my home and the umbrella with met life was cheaper too).

I only have 2 vehicles to insure but they are both pretty expensive to insure. My model 3 performance and my wifes 2019 X3 M40.
Thank you! Apologies for my less than stellar memory banks and/or reading comprehension. LOL. I’ll be looking around, but probably tomorrow. I plan on driving my new car once I pick it up at noon today, so I’ll be busy!

I have my Model Y coverage through Progressive. I am in my late 60's with a clean driving record. Our coverage costs $362/6 months for 2 Cars for the following coverages. The Model Y is $189 of the $362. Please do not cry...

2020 TESLA MODEL Y 4 DOOR WAGON
VIN: 5YJYGDEE4LF020*** Garaging ZIP Code: 43085
Primary use of the vehicle: Commute
Length of vehicle ownership when policy started or vehicle added: Less than 1 month
Limits Deductible Premium
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Liability To Others $67
Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 each person/$300,000 each accident
Property Damage Liability $100,000 each accident
Medical Payments $1,000 each person $5
Comprehensive Actual Cash Value $750 $11
Collision Actual Cash Value $750 $88
Rental Reimbursement up to $50 each day/maximum 30 days $13
Loan/Lease Payoff Plus 25% Of The Actual Cash Value $5
Total premium for 2020 TESLA $189

Last edited:
Reactions: Krock65
Just a word of warning, Progressive may jump a lot. There was a flurry of comments here that Progressive was sending out notices at the first renewal for a lot of people saying the bad misquoted the Model Y initially. Most bumps seemed to be near double what the initial 6 month period was +/- 10%

I’m not looking forward to April when my first six months is up...