Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get a ticket with Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait so you paid the ticket and didn't bother with traffic school? Wow. Learn from that mistake.

NOT a mistake when you thought you were allowed one ticket in THREE YEARS. Actually my first ticket in EIGHT years. Based on past experience for the past 30+ years, thought I was allowed ONE ticket without penalty. Everyone makes a mistake here and there (meaning, getting a ticket). Based on that, I'd rather save traffic school for the next time if there is a next time in the next three years.

Just got the renewal for my Mercury policy that has all my other cars on it. NO CHANGE!

They're not hanging me by the rope because I got ONE ticket in EIGHT years!

In this case, I just move the Tesla to my Mercury policy. Cheaper than what Tesla wants to charge me. They lose a customer that "knock on wood" hasn't filed a claim nor had an accident in 30+ years because they figure one ticket at 10 MPH over the speed limit makes me a high risk driver now.

There's a reason DMV allows you three points before doing anything to you. They apparently understand that stuff happens. Nobody is perfect. Just disappointing that Tesla Insurance thinks it deserves such a big penalty for the next three years.

Anyway, it is what it is. I guess in three years, I'll get another quote from them.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
NOT a mistake when you thought you were allowed one ticket in THREE YEARS. Actually my first ticket in EIGHT years. Based on past experience for the past 30+ years, thought I was allowed ONE ticket without penalty. Everyone makes a mistake here and there (meaning, getting a ticket). Based on that, I'd rather save traffic school for the next time if there is a next time in the next three years.

Just got the renewal for my Mercury policy that has all my other cars on it. NO CHANGE!

They're not hanging me by the rope because I got ONE ticket in EIGHT years!

In this case, I just move the Tesla to my Mercury policy. Cheaper than what Tesla wants to charge me. They lose a customer that "knock on wood" hasn't filed a claim nor had an accident in 30+ years because they figure one ticket at 10 MPH over the speed limit makes me a high risk driver now.

There's a reason DMV allows you three points before doing anything to you. They apparently understand that stuff happens. Nobody is perfect. Just disappointing that Tesla Insurance thinks it deserves such a big penalty for the next three years.

Anyway, it is what it is. I guess in three years, I'll get another quote from them.

Does Tesla even know how much over the speed limit you were?

Every insurance company has a different risk profile structure. Tesla may over-index on zero-ticket drivers. So people with moving violations like you are just not their target customers. Nothing personal.

$190/month? I pay way less than that on State Farm. I get the house+2nd car discounts but $190/month covers all of that -- house, Tesla, other car. Do you have a horrible record? Mine is clean.
Interesting. Very interesting.

We have had State Farm homeowner's insurance for a very long time with zero claims ever. Yet, they always quote me the highest of every quote I get for auto insurance, every year. Higher than Farmers, higher than AAA, higher than Chubb, higher than Amica, literally everyone. No claims or tickets for both of us for over 10 years as well.

$190/month? I pay way less than that on State Farm. I get the house+2nd car discounts but $190/month covers all of that -- house, Tesla, other car. Do you have a horrible record? Mine is clean.
As noted, was my FIRST TICKET IN EIGHT YEARS. For going 80 in a 70 out in the middle of nowhere with virtually no traffic. Most of the cars I encountered were those blowing by me at 90+.

Aside from that ONE ticket in EIGHT YEARS, no accidents (knock on wood), I have an otherwise perfectly clean record. No claims in 25+ YEARS. They apparently feel that one ticket for just 10 MPH over makes me a horrible driver that's at high risk. Find me a driver that's never gone 10 MPH over the speed limit and you will have found something very rare. Generally, CHP will not bother you at that speed. Must have been a slow night! Now I get to pay for it for three years!

And I have multiple cars plus my house with Mercury. But, do live in the city of Los Angeles where prices for everything is astronomical.

For going 80 in a 70 out in the middle of nowhere with virtually no traffic. Most of the cars I encountered were those blowing by me at 90+.

AFind me a driver that's never gone 10 MPH over the speed limit and you will have found something very rare. Generally, CHP will not bother you at that speed. Must have been a slow night!
Everyone complains when they get caught for speeding and then get a ticket. Of course there are going to be others going faster who didn't get caught, they can only catch so many cars at once. Your number came up, don't blame the cops because you broke the law.

I've always pled "not guilty" and accepted the plea deals (typically parking violations, sometimes driving school).

I'm not sure I've ever actually had a traffic violation on my record. That site just connects you with a local lawyer (and adds another middle man $$$). The lawyer is just going to accept a plea on your behalf, that's what they always do for others when I've gone to court.

At least in Georgia, it seems like the police departments only care about getting their money. Last time I got a ticket, I just emailed the county prosecutor’s office or whatever was listed on the ticket and asked them nicely if they would agree to not add the points to my license if I agreed to pay the full amount of the ticket and not fight it, and they agreed to it. On the official court document they had me e-sign, they ended up writing that the radar may not have been calibrated properly or something, so I guess that’s how they justified not adding points to my license in their records. Now, maybe they only agreed to that because they checked my record and saw it was clean, and because I wasn’t doing an insane speed, but worth a shot.

Everyone complains when they get caught for speeding and then get a ticket. Of course there are going to be others going faster who didn't get caught, they can only catch so many cars at once. Your number came up, don't blame the cops because you broke the law.
Thanks for stating the OBVIOUS. Yes, I broke the law. I'm a horrible person. Apparently a horrible driver that's a high risk to others on the road and now get to pay for it for the next three years. Now, go look in the mirror and ask, "have I ever gone 10 MPH over the speed limit". Then, maybe not be the pot calling the kettle black. Or whatever that saying is.

My simple point is, 1 oops in EIGHT YEARS and probably close to 200,000 miles and at just 10 MPH over the speed limit on a wide open desert freeway, the penalty seems pretty harsh. Is what it is. They lost a customer as a result. So, now they get nothing. DMV allows you to get up to 4 tickets in one year or 6 in two years before they threaten your license. Obviously, that many would deserve penalties. One in 8 years for that low of speed.......

Does Tesla know this?
Tesla tracks EVERYTHING you do in your car. There's no hiding anything from them. They can download your entire driving history anytime they want to. No with cameras inside the car, they can visibly see you too. Better not cheat on your wife in a Tesla!! It's not just Tesla anymore, our every electronic movement is tracked. Privacy is a thing of the past.

Thanks for stating the OBVIOUS. Yes, I broke the law. I'm a horrible person. Apparently a horrible driver that's a high risk to others on the road and now get to pay for it for the next three years. Now, go look in the mirror and ask, "have I ever gone 10 MPH over the speed limit". Then, maybe not be the pot calling the kettle black. Or whatever that saying is.

My simple point is, 1 oops in EIGHT YEARS and probably close to 200,000 miles and at just 10 MPH over the speed limit on a wide open desert freeway, the penalty seems pretty harsh. Is what it is. They lost a customer as a result. So, now they get nothing. DMV allows you to get up to 4 tickets in one year or 6 in two years before they threaten your license. Obviously, that many would deserve penalties. One in 8 years for that low of speed.......
I didn't say you were a horrible person, but you did complain about getting a ticket and made it sound like the cops singled you out and felt you shouldn't have gotten a ticket. And you implied that again in this post. And yes I've gone 10mph over the speed limit and if I get a ticket it will be totally on me, not the police or my insurance company because I know what will happen if I get a ticket for speeding. You act like you didn't know the consequences, maybe you didn't. But if you want to complain about it, complain to your insurance company and get a different one if they can't give you a solution you like. But I'd make sure to ask what happens to your rate if you get a ticket.

I didn't say you were a horrible person, but you did complain about getting a ticket and made it sound like the cops singled you out and felt you shouldn't have gotten a ticket. And you implied that again in this post. And yes I've gone 10mph over the speed limit and if I get a ticket it will be totally on me, not the police or my insurance company because I know what will happen if I get a ticket for speeding. You act like you didn't know the consequences, maybe you didn't. But if you want to complain about it, complain to your insurance company and get a different one if they can't give you a solution you like. But I'd make sure to ask what happens to your rate if you get a ticket.
Thank you for the lecture! LOL. if you read my posts, your post would not have been necessary. Not going to repeat it all again. But everything you said has been covered in this thread

Tesla tracks EVERYTHING you do in your car. There's no hiding anything from them. They can download your entire driving history anytime they want to. No with cameras inside the car, they can visibly see you too. Better not cheat on your wife in a Tesla!! It's not just Tesla anymore, our every electronic movement is tracked. Privacy is a thing of the past.

Yeah but in California, they are not allowed to use driving habit tracking data to set insurance rates, are they?

Calm down princess! You got caught speeding, now your insurance rate went up...deal with it. You knew this could happen from the start. Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Oh yippee!! ANOTHER LECTURE! I just love the Tesla forum community. LOL. You learn oh so much!! Have to say, since I personally stopped participating for the most part as of late, I haven't missed it a bit. What was a simple public awareness notice for the benefit of others turns into the typical Tesla fanboi's taking it off in a different direction. All has been spoken about above. Sorry for trying to save others from the same fate. Have a nice day!

You started this. All you had to do was not whine about getting a ticket which caused you insurance rate to increase. You deserved to get a ticket, so stop crying about it. Now put your shoes on and walk away like a big boy.
Such class on this site! Again, 100% do not miss this crowd! Apparently people miserable in their own lives so they try to bring other to their level. Enjoy it down there.

• Disagree
Reactions: Resist and JMGNC