Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Long Range AWD front noise when max turn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just picked up 2023 October, Texas production, Model Y long range AWD.

From the front wheels I get noise on maximum turning wheel and its at slow to stoping turn. The noise is like rubber grinding/whining.

While in reverse there is “tung/gong” kinda of release noise, or like something is wrong with suspension part.

Any experience with this

So just picked up 2023 October, Texas production, Model Y long range AWD.

From the front wheels I get noise on maximum turning wheel and its at slow to stoping turn. The noise is like rubber grinding/whining.

While in reverse there is “tung/gong” kinda of release noise, or like something is wrong with suspension part.

Any experience with this
My new 2024 MYP does the same thing, not sure what it is.

It's most likely the upper or lower control arm. The replacement cost is typically between $400 and $600. If it's gradually increasing in noise due to acceleration or deceleration, it's the wheel hub. About the same price to replace it.

My predicament is to take it in to service or not. Because once they start opening stuff up… fix one break five things
Might as well bring it to them. Usually best. Their rates are reasonable to diagnostic. Sometimes they'll waive it if you have them fix it on the spot.

You can just drop your car at the TSC overnight and leave the key in the dropbox. They'll work on it in the morning usually. If you use the app, you will be offerred an appointment 2-3 weeks out. If you want it to be looked at immediately, just drop it off. Or, whenever is convenient and don't bother making any appointments.

Might as well bring it to them. Usually best. Their rates are reasonable to diagnostic. Sometimes they'll waive it if you have them fix it on the spot.

You can just drop your car at the TSC overnight and leave the key in the dropbox. They'll work on it in the morning usually. If you use the app, you will be offerred an appointment 2-3 weeks out. If you want it to be looked at immediately, just drop it off. Or, whenever is convenient and don't bother making any appointments.
Rates? It's still under warranty, right?

Reactions: cmaster
Reverse noise
From my experience if it's the control arm, it has to be a precise turn at a specific angle such as making a 90 degree turn left or right, you would feel the weight of the car shift as you turn. It's very noticeable once you experience it once. This reverse seems very likely it's the control arm because of the distinguish bump/thump noise while turning during motion.

I couldn't hear it while moving forward that well. But, the reverse does seem like it's the control arm. As far if it's the upper arm or lower arm, that has to be on a lift to find out.