Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falling out of love with my Model Y AWD - Sell or Keep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reality is somewhat less fulfilling. The 4680 pack is very slow to SC, even compared to my 2018 Model 3. It takes nearly 50% longer to replenish the same distance as my model 3. It’s even slower compared to my friends 2022 Model Y LR AWD with 2170 batteries. It seems the 4680 battery pack throttles down very aggressively slowing charging dramatically.
Do you normally charge at a supercharger or at home?
Resale value is horrible, with the list price dropping over $15k, and new cars benefitting from $7,500 additional tax credits.
Didn't you benefit from a big price drop and the tax credit, yourself?

Reactions: Resist and Skavatar
To me, this is virtually a mirror of the last time this same OP went through this, with the model 3 they had. When they started talking about "coming back to Tesla" I remember specifically posting something like. "not enough has changed for someone who left disappointed to consider buying another one, so you probably shouldnt buy one again".

In other words, this post doesnt surprise me, I both expected the OP to change their mind, and also to make a post asking for people to help them make their decision, again.

JJ - You are correct. I did just what you said I did. I'm not trying to troll, but the promise of Tesla versus the reality of Tesla leaves a lot of gaps.

When I bought the 2018 Model 3 only RWD was available. I also realized that as Tesla was ramping up production there was likely to be some shortfall between expectations and reality. There indeed was, but more than I anticipated. Coming from a more traditional ICE manufacturer I found it hard to overlook the magnitude of the difference. Panel gaps and other things were well known, but the interior and tire noise along with other continuing problems made it hard for me to love the car. So, as you noted, I sold it and waited to the cars to improve.

I specifically waited for the Austin built Model Y, AWD, 4680 battery pack. Elon suggested that the new GigaPress would create a more solid platform, reduce part count, and overall create a better vehicle. Add to that the 4680 battery pack was supposed to be the next step in Tesla's battery technology. At the time many sites/articles stressed the faster charging and longer useful life of the 4680 pack. So, I bought that model, realizing it would have a shorter range, but expecting to make up for it in faster charging time. My logic was the 279 mile range was fine for 90% of my driving, but when "road tripping" I'd be able to charge more quickly. It was a "win-win" the way I interpreted it, largely on the pre-release comments from Tesla. That was enough to bring me back to Tesla, as I suggested in that old quote you correctly referenced.

Now, 14 months after delivery, the Model Y AWD Austin model is an "orphan". With the short run that it had (and I don't think anyone expected the run to be so short) the car is unattractive on a relative basis the the 2170 Model Y (which only costs a bit more than the base Y), and the long range RWD is a very viable alternative. Neither of these models has the tapered charging ramp that the Model Y that I bought experiences, and the build quality of the Austin car is not anywhere near what I expected. It's marginally more quiet than a 2022 Model Y AWD 2170, largely due to the newly designed rear cover for the storage area on the 2023 Model Ys. Noise from the wheel area, back seat, window seals and the rest is not significantly better than my old Model 3. The ride is also “bouncy” and not well damped.

So, yes, you are again correct, I am again asking for comments/help/suggestions. And yes, I'm not happy yet again. But, I ask a simple question: "If Tesla had 5 model years to improve their construction process, stated publicly many times that the new Austin GigaPress was the wave of the future, also touted the 4680 battery pack as the basis for the CyberTruck battery pack and other "yet to come" vehicles, wouldn't you have expected a car that had better build quality, improved sound deadening, upgraded suspension, and better charging characteristics than a Tesla model you bought five years earlier?" I did, and my 2023 Model Y didn't deliver. So, yes, I'm disappointed yet again, and still trying to figure out what to do.

Others have different experiences and expectations, and if the current Tesla models work for them, I'm happy for them. And, given my history of enjoying BMW cars (which I freely admit), try a test ride in the various BMW EV offerings. I think you'll find them serious competitors to Tesla in every way, and, at least for me, better built. When they adapt the NACS plugs I believe they will be formidable competition.

I'm not trying to bash Tesla, I admire what Musk has accomplished. I just wish the gap between the promises and the reality closes, and management realizes that there is now serious competition and eventually the poor experiences of people like me will make it hard to maintain brand loyalty.

Last edited:
JJ - You are correct. I did just what you said I did. I'm not trying to troll, but the promise of Tesla versus the reality of Tesla leaves a lot of gaps.

When I bought the 2018 Model 3 only RWD was available. I also realized that as Tesla was ramping up production there was likely to be some shortfall between expectations and reality. There indeed was, but more than I anticipated. Coming from a more traditional ICE manufacturer I found it hard to overlook the magnitude of the difference. Panel gaps and other things were well known, but the interior and tire noise along with other continuing problems made it hard for me to love the car. So, as you noted, I sold it and waited to the cars to improve.

I specifically waited for the Austin built Model Y, AWD, 4680 battery pack. Elon suggested that the new GigaPress would create a more solid platform, reduce part count, and overall create a better vehicle. Add to that the 4680 battery pack was supposed to be the next step in Tesla's battery technology. At the time many sites/articles stressed the faster charging and longer useful life of the 4680 pack. So, I bought that model, realizing it would have a shorter range, but expecting to make up for it in faster charging time. My logic was the 279 mile range was fine for 90% of my driving, but when "road tripping" I'd be able to charge more quickly. It was a "win-win" the way I interpreted it, largely on the pre-release comments from Tesla. That was enough to bring me back to Tesla, as I suggested in that old quote you correctly referenced.

Now, 14 months after delivery, the Model Y AWD Austin model is an "orphan". With the short run that it had (and I don't think anyone expected the run to be so short) the car is unattractive on a relative basis the the 2170 Model Y (which only costs a bit more than the base Y), and the long range RWD is a very viable alternative. Neither of these models has the tapered charging ramp that the Model Y that I bought experiences, and the build quality of the Austin car is not anywhere near what I expected. It's marginally more quiet than a 2022 Model Y AWD 2170, largely due to the newly designed rear cover for the storage area on the 2023 Model Ys. Noise from the wheel area, back seat, window seals and the rest is not significantly better than my old Model 3. The ride is also “bouncy” and not well damped.

So, yes, you are again correct, I am again asking for comments/help/suggestions. And yes, I'm not happy yet again. But, I ask a simple question: "If Tesla had 5 model years to improve their construction process, stated publicly many times that the new Austin GigaPress was the wave of the future, also touted the 4680 battery pack as the basis for the CyberTruck battery pack and other "yet to come" vehicles, wouldn't you have expected a car that had better build quality, improved sound deadening, upgraded suspension, and better charging characteristics than a Tesla model you bought five years earlier?" I did, and my 2023 Model Y didn't deliver. So, yes, I'm disappointed yet again, and still trying to figure out what to do.

Others have different experiences and expectations, and if the current Tesla models work for them, I'm happy for them. And, given my history of enjoying BMW cars (which I freely admit), try a test ride in the various BMW EV offerings. I think you'll find them serious competitors to Tesla in every way, and, at least for me, better built. When they adapt the NACS plugs I believe they will be formidable competition.

I'm not trying to bash Tesla, I admire what Musk has accomplished. I just wish the gap between the promises and the reality closes, and management realizes that there is now serious competition and eventually the poor experiences of people like me will make it hard to maintain brand loyalty.

I deleted some other stuff I was going to say, but I will just point out that you got a lot of feedback in a thread here (about 6 pages worth, including my own which I mentioned above) when you were looking at buying this car. I already said what I said then, and I went and found the thread to see if I mis remembered what I said, and I didnt.

In any case, to answer the thread question, you should sell the car. You shouldnt be buying any Teslas at all. If you get the itch to drive one again after you sell this one, you should lease it and not buy it, so that you have an end point for when you would be turning it back in.

Maybe I missed it in your long post, but is our Y paid for? Given the current state of our economy and lord knows what the future holds, having a paid-for automobile still under warranty that still safely and economically runs, if it were me I'd keep it. By the way, how many long road trips do you take each year requiring SuperChargers?

Now, if it's not paid for and you're willing to eat the loss, start over with astronomically HIGH interest rates, you are blessed and don't need our advice.

The Highland M3P might be more what you're looking for.
Yes, and maybe a MSLR. The long range has 670 HP while thd Plaid has 1100 HP. With the Model S you can haul lumber from Home Depot, take the wife and friends to dinner and take it to the track. All around practical car! Much more acceleration than a Corvette but the cornering with such a heavy is not that good. Get the Corvette. I've had both a C4 and a C5.

Reactions: Skavatar
I have a MY AWD with the 4860 battery and like it a lot. I have zero problems with it. I changed at home 98% of the time, and when I do road trips the extra time at the supercharger isn't really a big deal to me. My car dives and rides well. It's a fantastic car. It sounds like Teslas really aren't going to make you happy, regardless of the model.

Reactions: Resist
Just traded my 2022 M3LR for a 2024 MYP and although I've only SC charged once, I did definitely saw a longer charge time versus the M3LR. I rarely use SCs as I charge a home but I'd say it would be a slightly annoying wait time on long distance trips. Although if this was my first Tesla, I wouldn't know the difference.

Just traded my 2022 M3LR for a 2024 MYP and although I've only SC charged once, I did definitely saw a longer charge time versus the M3LR. I rarely use SCs as I charge a home but I'd say it would be a slightly annoying wait time on long distance trips. Although if this was my first Tesla, I wouldn't know the difference.
I’m curious: to what do you attribute this longer charge time?