Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR rear ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
took delivery december 2020 (deep blue metallic; black interior; tow pkg;20" induction wheels)
rear ended in Colorado on 2 December (14,050 miles on odometer)
Total Repair Cost = $22, 103.
car repaired/returned a couple weeks ago
i asked for DIV (Diminution of value) claim
DIV Claim says "Guide book reference amount" for my car = $69,225
DIMINISHED VALUE AMOUNT = $10,700.

QUESTION: AT first glance, $10.7K, which is nearly 50% of total repair cost seems very reasonable, but I need to find a 3rd party appraiser to confirm/deny this. Does anyone have a 3rd party appraiser in Denver metro area they'd care to refer?

There's a somewhat standardized/accepted DV calculation you can find online. Best to just calculate it yourself to see if it comes close to the $10,700. The repair cost is irrelevant when it comes to DV. DV is supposed to compensate you for the hit your car will take when it comes to resale value since the vehicle will show up as being in an accident and lower the value. It's roughly supposed to be the difference between market value for your car with no accident vs what it's worth with 1 accident.
Imagine if your repair cost $6,000, but your 1 accident car lost 10 - 15% in value; would you want the percentage of the DV to be based on your repair bill or the market value of your car?

Reactions: thinktwice