Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR vs. Model Y Performance ride quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want the MY LR with Gemini wheels. I want to see how the ride is when I first drive before doing anything, but 3k didn't seem worth it to me, so the $400 coils might be a good place for me if I did want to upgrade. Not interested in lowering, just want a smooth ride!

I'd really like a smoother ride in the my MY AWD, but also don't want to spend around $3,000 (including installation) to do it. I'd like to keep the same height and I'm fine with them not being adjustable as long as the ride is significantly smoother. So what is the $400 suspension upgrade that people are mentioning in this thread (link too please)?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'd really like a smoother ride in the my MY AWD, but also don't want to spend around $3,000 (including installation) to do it. I'd like to keep the same height and I'm fine with them not being adjustable as long as the ride is significantly smoother. So what is the $400 suspension upgrade that people are mentioning in this thread (link too please)?

Thanks in advance!

Forums are anonymous, from my view it's the people selling the coilovers advertising it in one way or another. Lots of people throwing around words like "harsh, rough ride" etc and shilling the coilovers you probably don't need. Focus on what you know and learn to filter out the static. In a perfect world these retailers would sell you $10k worth of full body PPF/Ceramic, new suspension, brakes, tires and bill you the same amount as the car for you to get a "better experience"

Reactions: Zalick
I have an early Model Y Performance but I passed on the upgrade because I did not want to lower the suspension so I have the 19 inch Gemini wheels. Love my Model Y but the suspension is still a little stiff. Does anyone know of a shop where I could get shock absorbers for a more comfortable ride?

The Y oem suspension is harsh, not bad but yes you will feel everything, some have spend 3000.00 for cross over coils that are adjustable, a great video on this is from Gjeebs on YouTube as he got his installed, I think from Up Performance, everyone commented on his video to try setting the damper settings to the softest because to me from watching his video it didn’t look like it made any difference in the ride. So he will one day make that adjustment to the softest setting and hopefully make a new video on it.

Too pricy for me so I deal with the ride by adding a $34.00 seat cushion and back support. No problem with butt or back fatigue on my 6478 mile trip.

Fred

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I ordered the MYP because it's a bargain. Think about it, for its price and I can experience 3.5sec 0-60.
You're right. 3.5 is super car fast. Not a lot of cars can do that. Plus the other ICE cars need drivers who know what they're doing to hit under 4 seconds because they're usually RWD cars and burn a lot of tire when taking off from start. If they pull up on you on the streets, theyll get pulled over if they try to launch their cars because it'll be too loud.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D