Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance tire choices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering buying a Model Y Performance but I live in Minnesota and half our year has bad roads.

Are you able to put 20" tires on the Performance model and how much performance is being suffered?

I was considering having two sets. 21" for half the year and 20" for the other 6 months.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I have been told the 21" are not great in snow / ice / rain and the 20" actually perform quite well in those conditions.

Please advise.

If, in the past, you have switched to winter tires then you should do the same with the Performance Model Y. The OE 21" wheels are fitted with performance summer tires that are unsuitable for winter driving. Any time the temperature drops below 50F (10C) the rubber on these tires becomes too hard to provide any grip.

The OE all season tires that come on the 19" wheels and the optional 20" wheels. while suitable for colder weather, don't perform well on snow and ice. That is not to say you can't drive in snow conditions with the Continental Procontact RX or Goodyear Eagle F1 tires but after your first close call with losing grip and hopefully not crashing you will understand why these tires are rated poorly for winter driving.

The best solution is to purchase a set of 19" wheels or 18" wheels and winter tires; another option is all-season and all-weather tires that will perform better than the OE tires. There are quite a few choices for winter tires and all-season and all-weather tires for 18", 19" and 20" wheels. You can find 20" tires but the selection is not as large as with the 18" and 19" wheels.

You can purchase a winter wheel and tire package from Tire Rack, Discount Tire and Tesla (the Tesla 19" and 20" winter tire packages are perpetually out of stock.)

Reactions: GadgetGary