Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance wheels question [without lowering]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Just ordered my MYP for a march delivery and I was wondering if I can get some help.

All my research shows that people tend to lower their cars when it comes to aftermarket wheels. I'm looking to stay with the stock MYP suspension as it's low enough for me (I'm looking to add the Aero kit to it and don't want the car to be slammed for road trips, etc).

I'm looking to swap out the 21" Uberturbines for either 20" wheels [better ride ] or 21" wheels [better looks]. My questions is:

1. Is +30 offset too aggressive for keeping stock ride height? If that's not ideal, what is your suggestion?

2. If I want to go with a square setup, would a 9.5" , 10", or 10.5" be ideal on a MYP?

If it matters the wheels I'm going with are Vossen HF-5 and I've included their sizing availability below. If anyone got photos of their MYP suspension and various setups also please feel free to post. Thank you

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.24.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.24.11 AM.png
    909.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.24.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 9.24.04 AM.png
    44 KB · Views: 94
Hey guys,

Just ordered my MYP for a march delivery and I was wondering if I can get some help.

All my research shows that people tend to lower their cars when it comes to aftermarket wheels. I'm looking to stay with the stock MYP suspension as it's low enough for me (I'm looking to add the Aero kit to it and don't want the car to be slammed for road trips, etc).

I'm looking to swap out the 21" Uberturbines for either 20" wheels [better ride ] or 21" wheels [better looks]. My questions is:

1. Is +30 offset too aggressive for keeping stock ride height? If that's not ideal, what is your suggestion?

2. If I want to go with a square setup, would a 9.5" , 10", or 10.5" be ideal on a MYP?

If it matters the wheels I'm going with are Vossen HF-5 and I've included their sizing availability below. If anyone got photos of their MYP suspension and various setups also please feel free to post. Thank you
Vossens wheels are pretty heavy in weight, lighter than the Uberturbines though, but they are not aerodynamic like the Uberturbines. If you going aftermarket, try to get a lighter wheel to improve your range.

“Hybrid Forged”. These companies have to stop with this nonsense. Nothing on that wheel is actually forged.

Not that that really matters though. Wheel width is one aspect. You also need to get the offset correct. MYP can run all the way up to a 10.5” wide rim front and back. Not very efficient though because of how wide the tires will be. Were it me, I’d stick to a 9 or 9.5” rim front and rear and around 30-35mm offset.

“Hybrid Forged”. These companies have to stop with this nonsense. Nothing on that wheel is actually forged.

Not that that really matters though. Wheel width is one aspect. You also need to get the offset correct. MYP can run all the way up to a 10.5” wide rim front and back. Not very efficient though because of how wide the tires will be. Were it me, I’d stick to a 9 or 9.5” rim front and rear and around 30-35mm offset.
Personally 9 inch is what I would run with 255 all around square set up with max efficiency. The 9.5 current rim with the 255 offer not curb rash protection. I saw the apex flow forged 19x9.5 under 24lb each for around $400 a piece.