Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Radar Mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MYPWR

2023 Model Y
Jul 27, 2023
Tampa, FL
So for a year I have been waiting for Blendmount to release the Model Y mirror mount. I gave up! Making my own. Here is what I did and how I did it.

BMG-UC6 BlendMount Radar Detector Upgrade Kit with 7/8 Link
BMG-4014 Tesla Model 3 BMG-4014 Compatible with EZ Mag Mount Custom Fit
8 in. Mill Single Cut Bastard File from Home Depot
Razor Blades

Remove the small plastic cover around the mirror arm. Plastic pry tool works.
Remove the screw holding the mirror.
Cut the end of the plastic tab to allow space for the mount.

1711199237173.png

So I needed to cut a groove in the rearview mirror arm so the mount would not slip. I used the side of the file to remove the composite material from the mirror with a saw motion taking time to check the depth.

1711198787531.png

1711198836353.png

1711198896407.png

1711198940731.png

1711199005201.png

1711199645068.png

Assemble the two kits together. You could get just the 4014 but it places the radar detector about 1 inch in front of the mirror. I choose to extend and move the detector farther back with the UC6 kit.

1711199560343.png

The small plastic cover needs to be modified to allow the mount to fit.

1711199756053.png

Using the file I removed the lower area to allow space for the mount. Just takes time to file down the plastic.

1711199818204.png

Reached max 10 pictures......

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacalao and VipinLJ
In the past, I've used bicycle seat reflector brackets to make my own radar detector rear view mirror mount. They come in various sizes and shapes in your local bicycle shop likely has a garbage can full of them they will gladly give to you for project purposes. Never had to permanently modify a mirror stem to make it work either.

So after some driving I have a vibration in the mirror caused by the added weight of the radar detector. Remove the radar detector and the vibration goes away. Seems like an issue the guys with the Model 3 would have experienced?

So for a year I have been waiting for Blendmount to release the Model Y mirror mount. I gave up! Making my own. Here is what I did and how I did it.

BMG-UC6 BlendMount Radar Detector Upgrade Kit with 7/8 Link
BMG-4014 Tesla Model 3 BMG-4014 Compatible with EZ Mag Mount Custom Fit
8 in. Mill Single Cut Bastard File from Home Depot
Razor Blades

Remove the small plastic cover around the mirror arm. Plastic pry tool works.
Remove the screw holding the mirror.
Cut the end of the plastic tab to allow space for the mount.

View attachment 1031011

So I needed to cut a groove in the rearview mirror arm so the mount would not slip. I used the side of the file to remove the composite material from the mirror with a saw motion taking time to check the depth.

View attachment 1031006
View attachment 1031007
View attachment 1031008
View attachment 1031009
View attachment 1031010
View attachment 1031013

Assemble the two kits together. You could get just the 4014 but it places the radar detector about 1 inch in front of the mirror. I choose to extend and move the detector farther back with the UC6 kit.

View attachment 1031012

The small plastic cover needs to be modified to allow the mount to fit.

View attachment 1031014

Using the file I removed the lower area to allow space for the mount. Just takes time to file down the plastic.

View attachment 1031015

Reached max 10 pictures......
I’m tired of waiting on Blendmount too. But I’m not handy like you.

So after some driving I have a vibration in the mirror caused by the added weight of the radar detector. Remove the radar detector and the vibration goes away. Seems like an issue the guys with the Model 3 would have experienced?
I pulled the cover off again and found these 4 screws were really loose. I hand tightened them and it fixed the blurry vision in the mirror.

1711399180193.png

Reactions: Bacalao

Not all good news. I called to make sure. Tech support said send picture of mirror from passenger side. This was part of the bad news email response.

“During the development process for the Model Y mount, we found out there are three different mirror stem lengths/diameters in Model Y vehicles.”

My 2023 November build was a no go. Bummed.

The order process includes sending them a picture. They will respond and let you know if the new design works for your Y.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Sorry to threadjack, but where/what did you tapped for the switched power source?
Red Wire provides power when brake pedal is pushed. Cuts power after you leave the car.

Not all good news. I called to make sure. Tech support said send picture of mirror from passenger side. This was part of the bad news email response.

“During the development process for the Model Y mount, we found out there are three different mirror stem lengths/diameters in Model Y vehicles.”

My 2023 November build was a no go. Bummed.

The order process includes sending them a picture. They will respond and let you know if the new design works for your Y.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

After having done my install I think any Blendmount version would probably restrict the mirror adjustment. Just not enough stem behind the mirror.

I wish I had done it sooner. I would get the Model 3 BlendMount and just file a groove in the top part of the mirror stem. Trim the plastic as shown. File down the plastic stem cover and you will have full range of mirror adjustment with this mod. After a few days with the Blendmount it fits and looks great. It will come down to how bad you want to make it work. The pictures I provided above should give you enough of a guide to complete the installation.

Reactions: Bacalao
Red Wire provides power when brake pedal is pushed. Cuts power after you leave the car.

ahh ok, i was hoping you found a different way. Been too nervous to go fishing for the correct red wire from the bundle. I guess i'll give it a shot. thx