Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y reset procedure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it doesn’t work with the steering wheel buttons try adding pressing the brake as well.

When we received our Model Y in early June on 2020.11.103 it wouldn’t reboot with “just” the buttons so I added the brake and it worked oddly. Now it’s on 2020.24.6.9 and just the buttons work.

You can also hit the Power Off via the screen and leave the car alone for at least a few mins. If you continue to have issues schedule an appt via the app and tell them the problem, Tesla can view the car remotely.

Reactions: empiredown
If you are familiar with PC towers and Windows, then think of it like this:

Push and hold both steering wheel buttons to do a soft reboot is like the Windows 3 finger salute (Control-Alt-Del) to reboot Windows.

If that soft reboot attempt fails or does not correct the problem, then press the brake and try the 2 steering wheel buttons again, which is sort of like the reset button on that PC tower, which forces a hard reboot. Not exactly the same, but close enough for the purposes of this conversation.

Reactions: empiredown
Dredging up this old thread to ask if anyone else is still experiencing reboot weirdness? On my new Y, I have to press and hold both buttons twice: the first press seems to disable all connectivity, but doesn’t reboot. The second reboots.

On my Model 3, it was a single press.