Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Road Trip Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the detailed writeup and awesome pics. I have been contemplating getting the tesmat, like the fact it includes boards on the 'head' pieces to support your head, and that it can be compressed into a small-ish bag. Appreciate info on it's comfort, or lack thereof. Maybe I should just get a cheap air mattress instead. Taking my first roadtrip this weekend, but no camping this trip. Soon hopefully.

Tesmat is really easy to setup and put away for sure but we found it to be a hassle to set it up and then put it away, especially when you're in a campground filled with bugs and mosquitoes. The three pieces slid around too so it could get in the way of the hatch closing and got annoying to have to go adjust them again. One tip I found during the trip was if the hatch didn't close all the way, I can do a little gentle push from the top or inside the hatch with the black trim and it would latch instead of keep opening it and closing it over and over again until it latches. Learned that after a few mosquito bites.

I also think we brought too much clothes so downsizing would certainly help a lot.

For next time, I would just setup the bed to be the most comfortable as it can be without having to move it at all much. We'll bring like three days worth of outdoor clothes for the both of us with a jacket each to fit under the trunk compartment on the bottom, toiletries, keep the sleeping clothes on top of the bed, and enough food/liquids to fit in the frunk. We should be good.

Most RV camps and even some camping site have laundry services so we'll utilize that.

Thank you JWUWU for the useful and practical report.
At exactly the same week, my wife and I traveled LA-Yosemite-Monterey-Big Sur-LA. In your report you describe the Good/Bad/Ugly, but in our case (900 miles, 4 days in Model 3)- we have had only the Good. (we didn't sleep in the car- my bike did...). I've been thinking of a trip to Yellowstone, but I'll have to re-think it, based on you experience.
Question: what was your contingency plan in the event of a flat tire, considering your 2385 miles and all that gravel...we plan an excursion to the Arizona desert later this year.

Thanks for the post. I have a 2015 S85D that I’m likely trading for a Y later this summer, to complement the 3 my wife uses.
We’ve taken the S from NY to CA round trip three times in the winter and confirm that the Tesla Nav seems more accurate than Better Route Planner. Last year with about 5% charge the DC converter failed outside Pittsburgh. With great support from Tesla roadside we limped into the nearest ChargePoint at a FourPoints Sheraton with literally 0% charge. Charged overnight and made it home with additional slow charges. We were 3 months out of warranty so the repair was about $1500 but my local SC comp’ed the labor. We’ve found the Supercharger network to be more than adequate fling through West Texas, WV, KY and various other areas, and that S gets about 210 miles without bad weather or headwinds. Glad the general report on the Y was favorable, though it’s unlikely we’ll be voluntarily camping out in it.

At exactly the same week, my wife and I traveled LA-Yosemite-Monterey-Big Sur-LA. In your report you describe the Good/Bad/Ugly, but in our case (900 miles, 4 days in Model 3)- we have had only the Good. (we didn't sleep in the car- my bike did...). I've been thinking of a trip to Yellowstone, but I'll have to re-think it, based on you experience.
Question: what was your contingency plan in the event of a flat tire, considering your 2385 miles and all that gravel...we plan an excursion to the Arizona desert later this year.
I always carry the pump that Tesla sells on their website. It has fix-a-flat built into it. I also carry a tire plug kit with me. If all else fails (sidewall puncture) Tesla road service will come get you.

Great question. I'm glad you only have the good! That trip sounds wonderful. I love Big Sur.

As for the contingency plan for flat tire- I bought two tire plug kits just in case. It's not too hard to do it yourself. I thought about getting a spare but it would have taken a lot of space for the trip. I also have a mini electrical pump that I got from Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VB41W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I used to check the pressure three times during the trip and topped up in the morning. It's really useful.

Thanks for the post. I have a 2015 S85D that I’m likely trading for a Y later this summer, to complement the 3 my wife uses.
We’ve taken the S from NY to CA round trip three times in the winter and confirm that the Tesla Nav seems more accurate than Better Route Planner. Last year with about 5% charge the DC converter failed outside Pittsburgh. With great support from Tesla roadside we limped into the nearest ChargePoint at a FourPoints Sheraton with literally 0% charge. Charged overnight and made it home with additional slow charges. We were 3 months out of warranty so the repair was about $1500 but my local SC comp’ed the labor. We’ve found the Supercharger network to be more than adequate fling through West Texas, WV, KY and various other areas, and that S gets about 210 miles without bad weather or headwinds. Glad the general report on the Y was favorable, though it’s unlikely we’ll be voluntarily camping out in it.

I bought a used 2015 S85D from Tesla in April 2019 with 12,004 miles. We picked it up in San Diego and drove it back home to Dallas. I love the car. Planning a trip to Portland once things improve. 90% charge shows a 240 mile range, but as you said, no bad weather driving (nor 80 mph speeds), if I want to get near that 240 miles.
551BE96E-4010-4488-9C13-ABCAD00D662A.jpeg

Great question. I'm glad you only have the good! That trip sounds wonderful. I love Big Sur.

As for the contingency plan for flat tire- I bought two tire plug kits just in case. It's not too hard to do it yourself. I thought about getting a spare but it would have taken a lot of space for the trip. I also have a mini electrical pump that I got from Amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VB41W3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which I used to check the pressure three times during the trip and topped up in the morning. It's really useful.
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just go out and buy a pump before the next long trip.
And yes, Yosemite and the big Sur are fantastic
upload_2020-6-24_16-42-17.png

Heading out on Tues from Monterey Peninsula to Moab, Pikes Peak, Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone via Beartooth Hwy for 3 days, then Glacier Park, Coeur d'Alene, Crater Lake, Mt Shasta, and then home. Model 3, hoping to push the envelope on distances - but in no rush so should be easy. Will take back roads off Interstates when available. Not it's first long trip. Will be alone for first half, then son joining me for the middle. (he wants to see Yellowstone) Will be roughing it in hotels but car is always available in a pinch (very comfortable, actually)
Enjoyed reading your adventure and thanks for the tips.

Reactions: rafacq and jwuwu
Heading out on Tues from Monterey Peninsula to Moab, Pikes Peak, Mt Rushmore, Badlands, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone via Beartooth Hwy for 3 days, then Glacier Park, Coeur d'Alene, Crater Lake, Mt Shasta, and then home. Model 3, hoping to push the envelope on distances - but in no rush so should be easy. Will take back roads off Interstates when available. Not it's first long trip. Will be alone for first half, then son joining me for the middle. (he wants to see Yellowstone) Will be roughing it in hotels but car is always available in a pinch (very comfortable, actually)
Enjoyed reading your adventure and thanks for the tips.

Woah, that sounds like an awesome route! Have a good trip! Make sure to bring binoculars if you want to checkout wildlife in Yellowstone.

There are a lot bisons in Yellowstone, almost ran into one with the car. You'll see herds of em in Lamar Valley and Hayden Valley.

We also saw three black bears and a grizzly.

1831B436-5063-426B-AA82-D1661116122C.jpeg

0942AEAA-9E8C-4C8F-A75C-8B35174BDFF3.jpeg

We tried but didn't see any wolves though, there is a den at Slough Creek but they move around really early in the morning around 6am and we missed them.

Have fun!

Thank you for sharing your story! I have a Long Range MY on order, should I bump it up to the Performance version? Is your's the Performance MY and if so, how is the handling and body roll? Sometimes I wonder if I should get the Model 3 Performance instead? Your opinion would be much appreciated. Thank you!

While in Canp mode, did you have to cover the screen at all? My understanding is that the screen doesn’t go to sleep at all during Camp mode.

Can I ask why you decided to drive in Chill mode the whole trip? This really cuts down on utilizing any regen.

Thank you for sharing your story! I have a Long Range MY on order, should I bump it up to the Performance version? Is your's the Performance MY and if so, how is the handling and body roll? Sometimes I wonder if I should get the Model 3 Performance instead? Your opinion would be much appreciated. Thank you!

It really depends on if you want a 3.5 seconds 0-60 with a spoiler and if you can justify spending the extra money for it. If the option of the stealth Performance with induction wheels was available to me at the time, I would have gotten that instead of PUP because I don't really care for the staggered setup and those won't be optimal for trips like this.

PUP makes the most sense though since it's a free upgrade and you can just sell/trade off the wheels if you don't want it.

I like the acceleration and occasionally thrill so I got the performance. The Y is definitely heavier than the 3 so it doesn't feel quite as nimble but it's better than any SUV I've driven so far. The performance 3 is definitely be faster. The space in the Y is great for me and the view looks awesome when you're laying down in the back. I think when it came down between the 3 or Y, the space is the biggest factor to me.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
While in Canp mode, did you have to cover the screen at all? My understanding is that the screen doesn’t go to sleep at all during Camp mode.

Can I ask why you decided to drive in Chill mode the whole trip? This really cuts down on utilizing any regen.
Also curious about the screen in camp mode.

I don't think chill mode effects regen though (not sure on that). I believe it just effects the acceleration profile.

No, we didn't cover the screen because we had two people sleeping in the car, the front seats blocked the screen to our heads. I think if I was sleeping by myself and in the middle then I would probably use a towel and cover it up. It is quite bright.

I am thinking about getting a windshield cover for privacy because occasionally we had some campers that were curious about the car and they were shining their flashlights through the windshield.

Chill mode doesn't affect the regen at all. @DDrawer is correct, it only affects the acceleration profile and makes it softer, more gradual. I put it on chill mode because my fiancee doesn't like to be thrown back in her seat and wanted to feel safe. I also wanted to maximize the range and efficiency for the trip and my lead foot was my biggest enemy.

I'm back on sport mode now though since I'm home.

Last edited:
Reactions: RayB