Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Seat belts too deep for car seats. How to tell Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if others have had this issue with car seats. Test drove the MY with three booster/car seats in the back and it’s incredibly difficult to plug in the belts (reaching between car seats) given how buried the plugs are.

As a family oriented car, seems being able to pull the plugs up a bit would be super helpful (akin to what we can do on our old Honda).

Seat belt extensions aren’t recommended given I’ve been informed they may compromise safety for the kids (intended for obese individuals).

Wonder if any venue to give “feedback” to Tesla designers on this? Seems an easy modification (just adding 2 inches of belt to the plug end). Thought about Twitter but guessing no one actually reads that.

Just seems it would be a cheap family friendly design adjustment.

Upvote 0
Wondering if others have had this issue with car seats. Test drove the MY with three booster/car seats in the back and it’s incredibly difficult to plug in the belts (reaching between car seats) given how buried the plugs are.

As a family oriented car, seems being able to pull the plugs up a bit would be super helpful (akin to what we can do on our old Honda).

Seat belt extensions aren’t recommended given I’ve been informed they may compromise safety for the kids (intended for obese individuals).

Wonder if any venue to give “feedback” to Tesla designers on this? Seems an easy modification (just adding 2 inches of belt to the plug end). Thought about Twitter but guessing no one actually reads that.

So obese people are safe in them? We used them. Easy peasy.

Why aren't you using the LATCH anchors?

Reactions: richyrich

I bought mine here and I'm very happy with them. Seat Belt Extender Pros™ - Shop Extenders by Car

So obese people are safe in them? We used them. Easy peasy.

Why aren't you using the LATCH anchors?
Latch anchors are only available in two positions. If you have three (hence the need to reach down deep between cad seats/booster, the middle seat can’t use it.

Also latch has a weight limit.

Also using latch positions the lateral two seats too centrally and then you can’t fit three seats.

Regarding safety, there is a lot of data that they should not be used for car seats. Google it. Here’s a quick example.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Latch anchors are only available in two positions. If you have three (hence the need to reach down deep between cad seats/booster, the middle seat can’t use it.

Also latch has a weight limit.

Also using latch positions the lateral two seats too centrally and then you can’t fit three seats.

Regarding safety, there is a lot of data that they should not be used for car seats. Google it. Here’s a quick example.

I feel your frustration. I remember those days of trying to fit rear-facing car seats in the back of a Civic Hybrid. I kept them rear facing way past all their friends and later in boosters past all their friends and then they didn't get to ride in the front seat until about 12. There are a lot of variable including the crash test results of the car and car seats. All our friends with kids didn't even know the car seats had safety ratings. Even when I thought I had everything perfect in the back I still couldn't imagine how they would fare in the back in a wreck. We've been fortunate not to have to find out. Even today rear seat safety is questionable. New crash test spotlights lagging protection for rear passengers

We didn't use extenders with belts. They were basically the buckle, so it raise the attachment point 3-4 inches. I have a hard time believing that made it a death trap. I seriously doubt auto engineers are considering car seats and boosters at all when designing the seats and setabelts. From the latest IIHS crash tests, I'm not sure they were considering normal passengers.

All you can do is make the best decision with what you have. Looks like you are giving it due diligence. Hope you find something that works for you.

I feel your frustration. I remember those days of trying to fit rear-facing car seats in the back of a Civic Hybrid. I kept them rear facing way past all their friends and later in boosters past all their friends and then they didn't get to ride in the front seat until about 12. There are a lot of variable including the crash test results of the car and car seats. All our friends with kids didn't even know the car seats had safety ratings. Even when I thought I had everything perfect in the back I still couldn't imagine how they would fare in the back in a wreck. We've been fortunate not to have to find out. Even today rear seat safety is questionable. New crash test spotlights lagging protection for rear passengers

We didn't use extenders with belts. They were basically the buckle, so it raise the attachment point 3-4 inches. I have a hard time believing that made it a death trap. I seriously doubt auto engineers are considering car seats and boosters at all when designing the seats and setabelts. From the latest IIHS crash tests, I'm not sure they were considering normal passengers.

All you can do is make the best decision with what you have. Looks like you are giving it due diligence. Hope you find something that works for you.
Yeah. It’s tough. Guess was wondering if the MY specifically is targeted as a family friendly car (contrary to something kike a MS, etc), maybe they’d consider this (if there was a way to give this feedback).

Oh well.

Reactions: Noflash
New here... having dealt with having to help my kid for a week now being unable to buckle herself in w/ a high back booster and not seeing any easy "and safe" fixes... I've resorted to shoving a small rubber piece in front of the buckle itself (there's no room around it otherwise). The hope is minimizing the forward and backward play of the buckle will keep it stationary... and hopefully makes it a bit more predictable for my kid knowing the buckle should "always" be where it was last time... fingers crossed.

Reactions: Mike7564