Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Sound System Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, the music source matters. 320 kbps MP3 and FLAC files will sound vastly better than what you get from the radio. Apple Music is apparently HE-AAC codec at 64 kbps, which is equivalent to about 128 kbps.

Second, IMO what the system lacks more than anything else is bass. The music just lacks impact due to the lack of bass. I know NVX makes a nice subwoofer kit, although I do recall seeing comments that it does not fit my MY LR7, only the 5 seater.

Other than that, the path of least resistance is to either swap out the existing speakers for the Lightstreams or Othello speaker replacement kits. I've read that the Lightstreams kit produces more impact and sounds "clearer" whatever that means. I've not read any comments about the Othello system.

I'd be more included to first improve the bass performance and then play with the tone controls to see if I could get the system to sound acceptable. I have a full Stereo Integrity BM MKV shallow subwoofer and SI tweeters and mids that I could install along with a DSP/amp, but that'd be a ton of work tuning and wiring that I would prefer not to go into on this vehicle lol.