Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - SR Production (24 Mar 2021)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a comment on YouTube that the SR MY(Refresh version)comes with two motors but only one is active. Is there any truth to that?

Here is the sticker that came with the car. At the top, you can see, induction motor and the following line it states, internal permanent magnet motor. I don’t recall my SR+ having this.

E281BD67-C246-4BAC-B22B-8EBFC0BB5404.jpeg

Here is a Model 3 SR with only a single motor. Not mine, but a picture I found on the net.

Last edited:
Well since they are planning on possibly using the lease returns on the Y (and 3) as Tesla Taxi's in the future, maybe they are fitting the SR Tesla's with dual motor and the bigger batteries (with software limitations) so that they can activate those capabilities after lease turn in for Taxi use? Since they would likely not tweak the assembly line based on leased vs purchased vehicles, they probably just push them all out with that equipment to save future retrofit costs. Tesla seems to play the long game instead of the short one.

I know our lease term for the SRY is closed ended (not allowed to purchase the vehicle after lease term is up) due to the planned use of the Tesla Taxi service and the advisor said it is due to the Taxi plan.
I would assume they would want all the Tesla Taxi's to have the long range battery and dual motor so the cars can stay in service longer between charges and also not be limited on when/where they can go (winter snow, etc.).