Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tint using XPEL. Recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Y a couple of days ago. I went to a Llummar tint shop but they told me straight out that they could not match the existing rear windows exactly. I have heard soooo much about XPEL that I started looking for a shop that does it in my area. Unfortunately the closest place is about 45 min which is fine. I’m just wanting to know which material I should be asking them about. I think the back and top windows are 25. So I’m looking for front windows to match. Then I plan on doing the windshield in 50. Anyone have any specifics on what XPEL product they use to match the factory tint on the Y?

This is how I got my XR Prime Plus done for it to match.

Sunroof and all rear glass done in 70%.
Windshield in 50%.
Front side windows in 20%.

I wanted the front sides in 35% but it was a far from match so went with the 20%.

overall opinion? I think it is still too light as there is so much glass on this car the tint looks very light.
I have this on my other cars and it looks way darker.

if I were to do it all again I would do 15% on the front Windows and 35% on the windshield but that combo may not match the stock tint in the rear.

aside from all that I wish I did the roof glass in 50% as 70% isn’t noticeable but my goal was to reject heat so the goal has been met ;)

• Informative
Reactions: HeartSong
I have XR Prime Plus 35% on my front two windows, nothing else added to other windows.

My observations on the tint itself is that it's a good match, color wise.

Percentage wise, 35% is lighter, but TBH even if you went 20% or 5% there will be times when the light comes through the windshield just right and you are walking around your car and it still won't match.

Overall I am happy with my decision. I can't do 20% because I drive downtown often at night and can't easily see when people are crossing the street. Most of the time when I glance at the car from the outside it matches up well enough to move on and focus on more important things in life... like panel gaps LOL

This is how I got my XR Prime Plus done for it to match.

Sunroof and all rear glass done in 70%.
Windshield in 50%.
Front side windows in 20%.

I wanted the front sides in 35% but it was a far from match so went with the 20%.

overall opinion? I think it is still too light as there is so much glass on this car the tint looks very light.
I have this on my other cars and it looks way darker.

if I were to do it all again I would do 15% on the front Windows and 35% on the windshield but that combo may not match the stock tint in the rear.

aside from all that I wish I did the roof glass in 50% as 70% isn’t noticeable but my goal was to reject heat so the goal has been met ;)

nearly the same here.

I did 70% all rear windows and windshield, fronts 20% of XR Prime Plus and they match.

Hope there isn't much of a difference between XR Prime and XR Prime Plus. Today they installed the XR Prime on all windows for $650. I was a bit confused because all I remembered was that I needed, "nano ceramic" which they stated it was. Anyway, the most important thing to me was that the back matched the front. They went with 70% everywhere except for the front windows where they used 15. Haven't been able to test it at night yet Hoping it's not too dark as some of you have mentioned.