Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint reference pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my MYLR tinted. I was trying for a uniform look to match front & rears without going any darker than the stock rear glass. So, no added tint to rears (factory), front sides are 20% VLT Xpel Prime XR Black, windshield 70% Xpel Prime XR Black.

Overall, tint level front & rear is pretty close. While not as much as XR Plus, XR Black still has a bit of a blue hue to it. For those of you wanting to very closely match the rears 20% (or 25%) VLT ceramic is a pretty good match but Llumar or 3M may be closer to the factory charcoal hue.

Attachments

• side-1.jpg
    side-1.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 548
  • side-2.jpg
    side-2.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 398
This is the only one I have of the front. The ceramic tint adds quite a bit more reflection in off-angle pics but in person it is basically clear. Straight on, you probably wouldn't know the windshield is tinted.

front.jpeg

Interior view. Most passengers probably would never notice but the Xpel blue tone difference compared to factory hue is a bit more noticeable from inside the car:
interior.jpeg

Reactions: CleanDemon
Thanks! Windshield looks good too. Gotta figure out what to do for tint on my 1-month old MY.

Always wary of even touching the windshield but maybe cops won't notice 70%... definitely not brave enough to go 50%. Hah!

Even worried about front windows because I always seem to be the "unlucky" one to get a fix-it ticket... guess it can just come off when that happens and will just enjoy it until then.

Thanks! Windshield looks good too. Gotta figure out what to do for tint on my 1-month old MY.

Always wary of even touching the windshield but maybe cops won't notice 70%... definitely not brave enough to go 50%. Hah!

Even worried about front windows because I always seem to be the "unlucky" one to get a fix-it ticket... guess it can just come off when that happens and will just enjoy it until then.
I have usually done 70% 3M crystalline but I just put 55% XPEL XR Plus on this time. It's still barely noticeable and I'm glad I went 55% with the white interior.

Lots of discussion here on outside tint matching.

What is the general consensus on getting the interior door shades to match?

My setup:
Windshield: Llumar Air 80
Fronts: LLumar Pinnacle 15%
All Rears: Llumar Air 80

Exterior wise, it is a great match. Interior wise, the fronts are noticeably darker warmer. Anyone else have a mismatched interior?

IMG_8344.jpg
IMG_8362.jpg

Last edited:
No tint here yet (car is 2 months old, been procrastinating but need to get it done) but was planning to go 70 on windshield and rears and about 35 or so on front doors. I'm OK with front being less dark than rear (hopefully a bit less likely to get pulled over even though might not matter much).

@phantomsd, for your rears, 80 on top of the factory ~20-21 should put you around 16-17 which should be very close to your front 15, right? Looks very close to me... is it just a bit more on the yellow shade whereas rears are closer to no color shade?

Lots of discussion here on outside tint matching.

What is the general consensus on getting the interior door shades to match?

My setup:
Windshield: Llumar Air 80
Fronts: LLumar Pinnacle 15%
All Rears: Llumar Air 80

Exterior wise, it is a great match. Interior wise, the fronts are noticeably darker warmer. Anyone else have a mismatched interior?

View attachment 959572View attachment 959581
That's due to using different films. I added 70% XPEL XR Plus to my rear factory tinted windows so the color temp would match all around since I used it on my windshield and front windows.

Don't want to be a buzzkill, but I'll add this. I tinted the fronts to match the rears (not sure what % the installer used), and I've noticed at night I can't always see where I'm going when making a left turn. If it's truly dark out, I'll lower the driver side widow slightly for an unobstructed view. That's annoying, of course, especially in the rain. But since there's no turn illumination on these vehicles (unlike my defunct BMW M3), it's either that or wing it and hope there's no unseen pedestrian, center divide, roadkill, tire carcass, or whatever. All that said, I'm unwilling to remove the tint because the Y looks so good! And the interior might stay slighly cooler.

IMG_3522.jpeg

Reactions: fsb1