Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow 13 Pin Electrical Connections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla states that 9 to 13 pin may not work in Owner's Manual oddly.

Anyone tried pin-10 to charge their trailer's 12V battery while towing or staying stationary?

I also want to connect my 150A electric tow winch to the 12V battery and want to charge with the tow electrics. Is it possible?

Tesla states that 9 to 13 pin may not work in Owner's Manual oddly.

Anyone tried pin-10 to charge their trailer's 12V battery while towing or staying stationary?

I also want to connect my 150A electric tow winch to the 12V battery and want to charge with the tow electrics. Is it possible?

I'm sorry, 150A over the trailer plug? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

That would only be rated at maybe 10A max.

150A winch is going to be quite problematic to connect in a Tesla.

And FYI, 150A wiring is many times bigger than that of a trailer connector. all combined!

If I understand correctly @ChooseAnother plans to run his 150 A tow winch from the *trailer's* 12 V battery, and recharge the trailer battery with the 12 V supply from the vehicle on pin 10 of the trailer connector.

This should work with older Model Y that has the PbA 12 V battery. New Model Y have Li-ion NCM 15 V battery. To prevent overcharging 12 V PbA trailer batteries, Tesla removed the wiring for "12 V positive" pin (pin 10?) on their trailer connector.

To make this work you will need a DC-DC converter that will supply the correct voltage to recharge the trailer battery, and modify the vehicle harness to provide a 15 V input to your DC-DC.

That is my understanding, but I am not sure it is 100% correct.

GSP

Reactions: ChooseAnother
If I understand correctly @ChooseAnother plans to run his 150 A tow winch from the *trailer's* 12 V battery, and recharge the trailer battery with the 12 V supply from the vehicle on pin 10 of the trailer connector.

This should work with older Model Y that has the PbA 12 V battery. New Model Y have Li-ion NCM 15 V battery. To prevent overcharging 12 V PbA trailer batteries, Tesla removed the wiring for "12 V positive" pin (pin 10?) on their trailer connector.

To make this work you will need a DC-DC converter that will supply the correct voltage to recharge the trailer battery, and modify the vehicle harness to provide a 15 V input to your DC-DC.

That is my understanding, but I am not sure it is 100% correct.

GSP

You understand %100 correct. Thanks for reply. Europe version has 13 pin tow connector so Model Xs has pin-10 to charge 12v i guess but not sure with Model Ys.

While i dont want to modify my OEM harness, you think that can i use a 12v battery charger via rear 12v lighter charger which is at the trunk?

Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 00.14.21.png

I am not familiar with 12 V battery chargers that work with a 12 V input. Sounds like something that would work. A "charge controller" for use with 12 V PbA batteries and solar PV systems that accepts voltage down to 12-16 V range seems like it would work as well. A third option that I was considering for my Model Y was a small solar generator, like Anker or Bluetti brands, that accept 12-16 V PV input, and have a 12 V output.

Whatever you try, look for something that cannot pull more current from the vehicle 12 V circuit than it is capable to supply. I don't know how much current the lighter outlet in the trunk can supply, but I am pretty sure I have seen it here on TMC or in Tesla's documentation somewhere.

GSP

Reactions: ChooseAnother
I am not familiar with 12 V battery chargers that work with a 12 V input. Sounds like something that would work. A "charge controller" for use with 12 V PbA batteries and solar PV systems that accepts voltage down to 12-16 V range seems like it would work as well. A third option that I was considering for my Model Y was a small solar generator, like Anker or Bluetti brands, that accept 12-16 V PV input, and have a 12 V output.

Whatever you try, look for something that cannot pull more current from the vehicle 12 V circuit than it is capable to supply. I don't know how much current the lighter outlet in the trunk can supply, but I am pretty sure I have seen it here on TMC or in Tesla's documentation somewhere.

GSP
Tesla states 12A continuous, 16A peak for lighter outlets.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP