Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tow hitch electrics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've bought a tesla model y tow hitch from a breakers yard and fitted it to mu car but am not getting any power out the electrics. Behind the bumper is the connector for the 13pin outlet which I've plugged the electrics. Is there something else you have to do to get power? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

One of the key steps in getting electrical power from the tow hitch is to make sure that the wiring is connected correctly. The 13-pin outlet should have a positive and negative terminal which need to be connected correctly for power to flow. The positive cable should connect to the '+' side of the connector, while the negative cable should connect to the '-' side of the connector. If these connections are incorrect, then you will not get power from the tow hitch.

Also, make sure that all the wires in your tow hitch are properly secured and insulated to prevent any possible shorts or other malfunctions. Additionally, it's recommended that you use a circuit tester to verify that the connections are correct and that no power is being lost through any wires. This will help ensure that you get the maximum amount of power from your tow hitch.

Finally, if you still don't seem to be getting any power out of the electrics after double-checking all of these steps, then it may be worthwhile contacting a professional electrician to help you out. They should be able to diagnose the issue and help you get the power flowing again.

Good luck with getting your tow hitch up and running! Hopefully these tips will help you get the power you need from it.

Joseph

Upvote 0
One of the key steps in getting electrical power from the tow hitch is to make sure that the wiring is connected correctly. The 13-pin outlet should have a positive and negative terminal which need to be connected correctly for power to flow. The positive cable should connect to the '+' side of the connector, while the negative cable should connect to the '-' side of the connector. If these connections are incorrect, then you will not get power from the tow hitch.

Also, make sure that all the wires in your tow hitch are properly secured and insulated to prevent any possible shorts or other malfunctions. Additionally, it's recommended that you use a circuit tester to verify that the connections are correct and that no power is being lost through any wires. This will help ensure that you get the maximum amount of power from your tow hitch.

Finally, if you still don't seem to be getting any power out of the electrics after double-checking all of these steps, then it may be worthwhile contacting a professional electrician to help you out. They should be able to diagnose the issue and help you get the power flowing again.

Good luck with getting your tow hitch up and running! Hopefully these tips will help you get the power you need from it.

I am going double check the connection is correct behind the bumper

Joseph

Thank you Joseph

Joseph

Upvote 0
Thanks Joseph for your reply. I've checked the connector behind the plumber and there's no permanent, tail light supplies at that either. Do you know if tesla have to turn it on in the settings or theres a relay that needs fitting?

Can you check if your car was not in sleep mode.

No I even tried it in drive. Just no power at all in the connection. I'm thinking it's something to do with Tesla, that they have to switch it on?

Upvote 0
Thanks Joseph for your reply. I've checked the connector behind the plumber and there's no permanent, tail light supplies at that either. Do you know if tesla have to turn it on in the settings or theres a relay that needs fitting?

Can you check if your car was not in sleep mode.

No I even tried it in drive. Just no power at all in the connection. I'm thinking it's something to do with Tesla, that they have to switch it on?
Did you ever happen to figure it out? LOL, I just bought one from a yard too with the harness. I was planning on installing later this week

Upvote 0
For cars that are built after 2022.. The Front Left Body controller is missing the chip to control/give power to the rear trailer 13pin plug....

Only way is to upgrade the body controller with the one capable with tow mode...

Attached is the bullitin for body controller upgrade...

I found out this after I bought a after market hitch and trailer plug...

But now I just wired a aftermarket 4pin trailer controller, and wire a 4 pin to 7 pin trailer plug and ran the wires the old ways

Attachments

• Model Y Controller.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Helpful
Reactions: Deaf Paul
Upvote 0