Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tyre replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model Y has just passed 25k and the tyres are about 3.5mm all round and I always change at 3mm. I’m currently running the default Hankook tyres on the 19” but not that enamoured with them as they are rather noisy. Other manufacturers are now producing the same size xl tyre for ev’s so am wondering if anyone has changed to either Michelin or Pirelli ? I’ve used Michelin on many on my previous cars and love them, especially as the ones available are 5db quieter than what I currently have, but have no experience of pirelli. Both come in around £200 fitted which are also better than Hankook by some margin. Thoughts appreciated.

Crumbs. I can’t believe blackcircles are trying to charge £320.78 a corner for the Hankooks (I just checked).

I’m probably 3-4 months off a full new set myself. Typically I’d always opt for Michelins if I could.

If I were buying now I’d probably risk the Pilot Sport EV Acoustic, given my multi-decade Michelin preference. Or the Cross Climates, if you want all season.

But I have no personal experience of those tyres on the Y, so hesitate to offer a personal recommendation.

Crumbs. I can’t believe blackcircles are trying to charge £320.78 a corner for the Hankooks (I just checked).

I’m probably 3-4 months off a full new set myself. Typically I’d always opt for Michelins if I could.

If I were buying now I’d probably risk the Pilot Sport EV Acoustic, given my multi-decade Michelin preference. Or the Cross Climates, if you want all season.

But I have no personal experience of those tyres on the Y, so hesitate to offer a personal recommendation.
Try Asda tyres. They typically come in cheaper than black circles and use the same fitters. My local garage recommended them.

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno
The Michelins seem to have the db changed since I last looked. Pirelli come it at 68 and Michelins are now 72. When I checked last month the Michelin were 68 but also 40 quid cheaper. I think the pricing is all over the place As well as the db levels.
I think the dB noise measurements are from outside the car. This may not translate well into what you experience inside since the way sound is transmitted to the interior is likely to be somewhat different - e.g. going via the suspension.

I think the dB noise measurements are from outside the car. This may not translate well into what you experience inside since the way sound is transmitted to the interior is likely to be somewhat different - e.g. going via the suspension.
Yes, measured 1 metre away at the kerb side when the car is driven over a smooth surface not really used in the UK. Basically a poor measurement to use as a decision criteria for choosing a new tyre, especially when some manufacturers ‘steer’ the noise away from the kerb (into the car) to get a better result which actually makes it worse for the driver. It also doesn’t give an indication of the frequency being generated and we are more sensitive to certain frequencies that others.

• Informative
Reactions: Utumno
My model Y has just passed 25k and the tyres are about 3.5mm all round and I always change at 3mm. I’m currently running the default Hankook tyres on the 19” but not that enamoured with them as they are rather noisy. Other manufacturers are now producing the same size xl tyre for ev’s so am wondering if anyone has changed to either Michelin or Pirelli ? I’ve used Michelin on many on my previous cars and love them, especially as the ones available are 5db quieter than what I currently have, but have no experience of pirelli. Both come in around £200 fitted which are also better than Hankook by some margin. Thoughts appreciated.
I will need new tyres for my Model Y soon, so I wondered which one you went for and if you are happy with them?

Reactions: Matt W
Just fitted 4 Michelin pilot sport ev to mine. I would have gone with the Hankooks that it was supplied with since they have done around 30,000 miles but they were unavailable.

No difference from the Hankooks if you ask me. Bloody expensive though :(

No difference from the Hankooks if you ask me.
You would see if you put these tyres on that Ferrari. 😜

Just wondering if anyone has any new input for tyres for 19" Model Y tyres (Gemini) if they've been buying recently.

I've managed a good 30,000 miles on the stock Hankooks but can't find stock or availability to replace like for like with 255/45 R19 K127E.

I fear I'm reading too much into this and I've spent far too many hours researching different options such as CC2 or the Continental All Vontacts and getting lost in a world of all season over summer tyres.
I can source the K127 without the E but they mention as summer tyres, does that mean the stock fitted Hankook 255/45 R19 K127E are a summer tyre as opposed to all season? Is losing the 'E' a problem for Model Y, god knows.

These Hankooks have been alright imo and essentially just want some decent tyres without increased road noise or reduced range / efficiency as I've seen suggested on the Cross Climate 2 (along with weird 19" rim fitting and probably more curbing)

I've got 25,000 miles from the Hankooks. They're actually still OK per the wear markers on the tyres and I could prob get another few thousand miles from them. I plan to keep it another 12 months or so, so I can't avoid having to change tyres, so I may as well change now and be driving on new tyres. I certainly won't keep it long enough to need to change again.

I ordered Michelin Pilot Sport EV (T0 spec) today from ATS, for fitting next week, only to get a call saying they only have two and it will be late May before Michelin supply more. So I guess I have to do another month on the Hankooks :-(

I searched around but found few tyres with T ratings and generally supply seems to be spotty (therefore prices high?) so I decided to just wait.

Running a Model Y RWD since September last year, 14k in the clock and it looks like the rears are getting close to the tyre markers. Wondering if anyone else has seen quicker wear on the RWD, I’m doing mainly A road commute and round town with a couple of Motorway runs chucked in. Incredible some are getting 25k+

Running a Model Y RWD since September last year, 14k in the clock and it looks like the rears are getting close to the tyre markers. Wondering if anyone else has seen quicker wear on the RWD, I’m doing mainly A road commute and round town with a couple of Motorway runs chucked in. Incredible some are getting 25k+
I went through a set of rear tyres in 13k on an M3LR. If you get 25k you are doing it wrong. :p

Reactions: BissetY
I'm sure that driving style is a factor but I suspect that the condition of the roads makes a significant difference.

Miles driven on roads with potholes and poorly maintained traffic calming probably cause more wear than the same number of miles driven on comparatively well maintained motorways.

Of course, inflation pressure also affects where the tyre wears and this may affect overall tyre life.

We have a Model Y AWD, drive mostly on worn out local roads, usually without excessive performance, inflate to 42, and after just over 19k replacement may not be far away.