Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y VIN 92k 11 QC Issues Upon Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my Model Y one week ago 12/11/2020. VIN: 92k range. Tesla did a home delivery for me, so I was unable to inspect the vehicle prior to accepting delivery. Here are some the QC issues I've discovered over the last week:

1) 3 of the 4 doors don't close. When I close a door shut (no matter how hard), it doesn't latch and the windows don't roll up. This is especially concerning due to recent rain in NorCal. When it is in the closed position (but not latched), I can push hard on the door by hand and it finally latches closed and the windows roll up.
0lMN1a.md.jpg

0lMfFk.md.jpg

0lMPpe.md.jpg

0lMU0x.md.jpg

2) Power trunk doesn't close. After pressing the button to electronically close the liftgate almost closes, but doesn't latch. The car beeps and warns that trunk is not closed. Once again, I can push by hand and it latches closed. I verified and nothing is obstructing it from latching.

0lMcBH.md.jpg

3) The front passenger rolls down/up very slowly, when compared with the front driver window. If I open/close both at the same time, the passenger window always opens/closes 3 seconds slower than the driver window. Furthermore, both the front windows close slower than the rear windows (although I don't know if this is by design, since the rear windows are shorter)

4) Both rear tail lights on the body panel is not flush with the body. The tail light portion on the hatch is fine, it's flush with the hatch.
0lMyeZ.md.jpg

0lMxJK.md.jpg

0lMw2c.md.jpg

5) The left rear bench does not fold down via the button on the trunk, when in the reclined position. The right bench folds down fine. Both sides fold down fine if in the most upright position.

6) There is sizeable panel gaps on the C-pillar to the left and right of the rear bench.
0lM5xP.md.jpg

0lMaRm.md.jpg

7) The passenger side tweeter speaker near the sideview mirror is misaligned, when compared to the driver side one.
0lY2Fo.md.jpg

8) The wireless charging pad rattles while driving (although it's more like squeaks). It's worse when there is weight on it (e.g. phone on it). It happens at any driving speed.

9) There's a scratch on the steering wheel.
0lMh7i.md.jpg

10) There's a scratch on the headliner
0lYAI9.md.jpg

11) The driver sideview mirror doesn't extend outward enough. Even in the most outward (leftmost) position, I see more of the door handles of my vehicle, and not visibility of the vehicle in the blind spot.
Although this seems to be a well-documented design defect in the new auto-dimming sideview mirrors in the 3/Y's.

I'm not here to argue for/against Tesla QC, but I just wanted to share the facts. Especially considering this is a very recent vehicle/VIN (for Dec 2020).

And finally not a QC issue, but a disappointment: I didn't get the 1-year free supercharging because I missed the deadline by less than 1 day (only eligible for deliveries 12/12 - 12/31). I was scheduled to take delivery on 12/15, but the delivery team said that vehicle was ready on the 12/11 so I took delivery a few days early. Of course they didn't tell me about this promotion on delivery day on the 12/11, although I'm willing to bet they knew. I'm not saying I'm entitled to free supercharging, but especially considering some of the QC issues mentioned above (e.g. doors/tailgate), this vehicle should not have left the factory as-is.

Mechanically, the vehicle charges and drives fine. No noticeable wind noises or whistling, although it's a bit loud all-around. This is my first Tesla, so perhaps this is normal for a vehicle in this class.

When I noticed #1 and #2 issues above (doors and tailgate not closing), I immediately drove the vehicle to the Tesla Factory/Showroom/Delivery Center in Fremont. The helpful folks over there took a look at the vehicle and took it to the back to fix it on the spot. All the doors and tailgate was closing fine afterwards at the Fremont. Unfortunately later that day, the both driver side doors are back to not closing properly (passenger side doors and tailgate is OK).

My vehicle is now at my local Tesla Service center getting the 11 issues above fixed. Although my service advisor warned me that most of these issues will be considered "within spec" with Tesla and likely won't be fixed (except for #1, doors not closing). I will follow up on which ones were able to be fixed.

Wait...three of the four doors wouldn't *CLOSE* ? And the lift gate wouldn't latch shut? These are safety issues...how'd they even justify bringing the vehicle to your home without doors that don't latch properly? That's a little crazy.

The seat folding issue is pretty significant too.

I wish Tesla would slow down Model Y production and nip all these quality issues in the bud. It's always near the end of the production quarter that they seem to have more issues such as these.

Fingers crossed they fix most of this for you. I managed to get about 90%+ of my first 15 issues and alignment problems fixed pretty well, but it took waiting two months for my first service appointment.

Reactions: kishkaru
I received my vehicle back from the Tesla Service Center today.

Here are the issues that were fixed:

#3, Front passenger window rolling down/up slowly: Replaced front window regulator.
#5, Left bench seat doesn't fold down via button: Adjusted rear seat to allow for more clearance.
#8, Wireless charger rattling: Installed insulation on charging pad.
#9, Scratch on steering wheel: Removed via polishing.
#10, Scratch on headliner: Replaced entire headliner.

Here are the issues that were not fixed, due to being "in spec":

#1, Doors not closing: Apparently "in spec" and "normal" for a new vehicle. Allow time for door seals to break in for doors to close easily. Adjusting the doors would put things out of alignment. Reschedule for appointment if doors are still not closing in 3 months time.
#4, Tailights not flush with body: "in spec".
#6, Panel gaps on C-pillar: "in spec".
#7, Tweeter speaker panel gap: "in spec".

And a special case:
#11, Driver sideview mirror not extending out enough: Replaced door mirror assembly.
Unfortunately, for this one, the replacement has the same issue (or even slightly worse). They confirmed that nothing else can be done at this point, and it's working as designed. E.g. "in spec".

Thanks for the follow-up. On #11... yikes! I have the same problem and it's surprising they don't have a fix or didn't offer to fix in the future considering this is a safety issue. My driver side mirror is going to be serviced in a couple of weeks.

#11 has a fix that many SCs and mobile techs don’t yet know about. Ordering a new assembly won’t fix

see below for solution or a solution detailed here - Removing tabs from 2021 Model Y driver's sideview mirror to allow full range of motion of the mirror

Lastly, just because they said it was "within spec" and didn't fix it this time doesn't mean you can't try again. I've been persistent and went to the SC for all my issues even the ones they said were "within spec" and now have a fixed car on 100% of my issues after 5+ visits.

Attachments

• E506B7F4-DBDF-4FC2-BD88-DDD957035678.jpeg
    E506B7F4-DBDF-4FC2-BD88-DDD957035678.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: kishkaru
The doors not closing because the seals need to break in is complete BS. Seriously, take it back. Doors not closing with ease is a safety issue. If door/hinge alignment isn't an issue (and would become misaligned after "adjustment") then the lock/latch assemblies in each door is bad. I follow this forum pretty religiously, and I don't remember anyone having issues with the doors like you are having.

WRT taillight misalignment, yours look like mine. And after a mobile tech visit many months ago, they really don't look much better. I went and removed both taillights myself, and there isn't any way to adjust any better than they are. The mounts on each taillight are all the way against the body. The only way to get the taillight closer inward towards the body would be to bend in the metal mounting points on the body to give it more room to move inward.

#11 has a fix that many SCs and mobile techs don’t yet know about. Ordering a new assembly won’t fix

see below for solution or a solution detailed here - Removing tabs from 2021 Model Y driver's sideview mirror to allow full range of motion of the mirror

Lastly, just because they said it was "within spec" and didn't fix it this time doesn't mean you can't try again. I've been persistent and went to the SC for all my issues even the ones they said were "within spec" and now have a fixed car on 100% of my issues after 5+ visits.

Thanks for sharing! I just performed this "repair" and now the driver mirror is 100% working as expected. I don't understand why the Tesla SC was not able to do this fix. It's possible that they are aware of the issue, but aren't allowed to make the alterations unless given the OK from Tesla HQ.

The doors not closing because the seals need to break in is complete BS. Seriously, take it back. Doors not closing with ease is a safety issue. If door/hinge alignment isn't an issue (and would become misaligned after "adjustment") then the lock/latch assemblies in each door is bad. I follow this forum pretty religiously, and I don't remember anyone having issues with the doors like you are having.

Thanks for that. I will book another SC visit for next month to follow up about this. So far, the door not closing issue is definitely hindering me from enjoying my vehicle.