Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Wash and Coat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me PPF is the obvious choice, Ceramic Coating gives you 0 protection against anything other then a feather hitting your car. Sure things wash off easier, but it will not prevent chips, probably doesn't protect against bird poop either if left on for more than a few days.. but would like to be proven wrong on that one.. Either way, if your spending 60-70k on a new car and care about the pain, PPF at least on the front 1/3 of the car makes absolute sense.

For me PPF is the obvious choice, Ceramic Coating gives you 0 protection against anything other then a feather hitting your car. Sure things wash off easier, but it will not prevent chips, probably doesn't protect against bird poop either if left on for more than a few days.. but would like to be proven wrong on that one.. Either way, if your spending 60-70k on a new car and care about the pain, PPF at least on the front 1/3 of the car makes absolute sense.
It's really not either/or. The PPF is the protection, for as much of the car as you think you can afford. The ceramic coating is permanent wax, which not only keeps it looking good but shields the PPF from UV and is hydrophobic to help the various sensors keep working in bad weather.

Apparently, the two best PPF brands are Suntek and Xpel, so going with a detailer certified by one of those manufacturers would be a good idea.

Reactions: Darmie
It's really not either/or. The PPF is the protection, for as much of the car as you think you can afford. The ceramic coating is permanent wax, which not only keeps it looking good but shields the PPF from UV and is hydrophobic to help the various sensors keep working in bad weather.

Apparently, the two best PPF brands are Suntek and Xpel, so going with a detailer certified by one of those manufacturers would be a good idea.

I know Xpel block 99% of UV rays., Guessing the other major brands do too. I do agree having something hydrophobic for the sensors is a good idea though. Also isn't ceramic coating only good a year or two before you have to put it on again?

I sincerely don't understand the popularity of PPF or ceramic coatings. In 30 years I have owned dozens of cars from almost every maker on the planet. I have never done anything more than wash weekly and wax monthly and I have never had any paint problems or issues. Sure I get the occasional chip but that is why they make touch up paint. I will confess I have never kept a car more than 3 years so maybe that's why paint protection is never an issue on my radar. To me it seems like a waste of money but to each his own. Or is it Tesla paint is so bad that these aftermarket protections are necessary?

I sincerely don't understand the popularity of PPF or ceramic coatings. In 30 years I have owned dozens of cars from almost every maker on the planet. I have never done anything more than wash weekly and wax monthly and I have never had any paint problems or issues. Sure I get the occasional chip but that is why they make touch up paint. I will confess I have never kept a car more than 3 years so maybe that's why paint protection is never an issue on my radar. To me it seems like a waste of money but to each his own. Or is it Tesla paint is so bad that these aftermarket protections are necessary?
Two things:
  1. Yes, Telsa paint isn't great. The paint itself isn't great, and the way they put it on isn't great. A big part of the point of PPF is the correction that gets done first. The film then seals the corrections in while offering some protection against damage. And then the ceramic coating acts like semi-permanent wax.
  2. Whether PPF makes sense depends on the cost of the car. From what I've seen, it's extremely common on high-end cars, but you'll never find it on a cheap car. At $75k, I'd say the MY is worth PPF.

Reactions: IdaBish
I don't think it's because of bad paint. Something that's overlooked is the behind the scenes doing paint correction. A professional install will ensure the paint is perfect before doing any coating or film. When you start with a near perfect base, PPF or just a coating makes the paint sparkle that much better. I do agree, a car can shine and always look nice without the coating and any PPF. Years ago, I was obsessed with my Zaino waxes and gloss enhancers. But today, there is a much easier way. I think most of the expense we see on these installs are all the correction to ensure good paint surface.

While station in Puerto Rico late 90s.
Way before any coatings.

zanio.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think it's because of bad paint. Something that's overlooked is the behind the scenes doing paint correction. A professional install will ensure the paint is perfect before doing any coating or film. When you start with a near perfect base, PPF or just a coating makes the paint sparkle that much better. I do agree, a car can shine and always look nice without the coating and any PPF. Years ago, I was obsessed with my Zaino waxes and gloss enhancers. But today, there is a much easier way. I think most of the expense we see on these installs are all the correction to ensure good paint surface.

While station in Puerto Rico late 90s.
Way before any coatings.

View attachment 530025
Me too! I am a longtime Zaino user and still use it! Like a mirror.

• Love
Reactions: IdaBish and Darmie
Two things:
  1. Yes, Telsa paint isn't great. The paint itself isn't great, and the way they put it on isn't great. A big part of the point of PPF is the correction that gets done first. The film then seals the corrections in while offering some protection against damage. And then the ceramic coating acts like semi-permanent wax.
  2. Whether PPF makes sense depends on the cost of the car. From what I've seen, it's extremely common on high-end cars, but you'll never find it on a cheap car. At $75k, I'd say the MY is worth PPF.

I'll take Tesla paint any day over the paint Mitsu put on it's 3G Eclipses...

The idea has just taken root in the Tesla community so it's become this thing where you're mistreating your Tesla somehow if you don't get PPF done :rolleyes: I've never gotten it done nor plan to. The amount that it costs I could get paint touchups many times over and I don't have to deal with my eyes always focusing on the film edges.