Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y with 19" wheels - tire pressure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that when the temperature inside the garage is 12C (53.6F), my tire pressures range 42.8 - 43.5.

I prefer softer side of the ride but range is somewhat important as well. Can I safely reduce the pressure to 40 without risking safety or huge drop in range?

Last edited:
There are several threads on this, if you have the time to search (upper right box, I recommend "advanced."). The threads are very informative.

Tesla says 42psi. They won't "approve" anything below that. However, real-world PSI, with temperature changes from 25f-90f? If you don't adjust for those changes, your tires PSI will range from 35-45, possibly even wider range.

There are several threads on this, if you have the time to search (upper right box, I recommend "advanced."). The threads are very informative.

Tesla says 42psi. They won't "approve" anything below that. However, real-world PSI, with temperature changes from 25f-90f? If you don't adjust for those changes, your tires PSI will range from 35-45, possibly even wider range.

Thank you for the info.

I did search through the site before posting and got some info but I was hoping to get some info specific to 19-inch wheels on MY. Most of them were for 20-inch and I wasn't sure if 20-inch tire data still works for 19-inch - I'm not an expert on tires at all. Also found a whole bunch of Model 3 based info which I wasn't sure if they are applicable for the MY.

So even though Elon suggested 40psi on Twitter, officially Tesla only approves 42psi?

When we finally get our MYLR, I plan on experimenting with tire pressure (cold) in the range of 38-42 psi. I'm not expecting big changes in ride comfort (or range) but think it's worth the effort. Not concerned about safety at the lower limit of 38 psi. Based on what others have said, the ride comfort will improve slightly as the suspension breaks in.

On my Model S and Model 3 I run 46 pounds tire pressure year round, though we don't experience wide swings in temperature. It's nearing the end of winter now, and our temp is supposed to be in the mid 70s today. Higher pressure increases range slightly, and I don't notice much difference in ride. Of course, I'm talking California, and our roads here in Napa Valley are very smooth. The main difference I notice with roads though is the noise. Smooth roads are much quieter.

Reactions: GeezerSquid