Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3 - Hole in underside cover - safe to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all!

I dont recall is happening but theres now a hole in the bottom of my Model 3! There was a flap of plastic scraping along the road which has now come off.

Maybe a scew came out? Anyone had this? If not maybe a rock of branch did it.

Do you think it is safe to drive whilst I'm waiting for a service on 27th Jan? Its on the rear passenger side toward the centre of the axle. I can see cables! eek.

Photos below..

20210115_085558.jpg
20210115_085613.jpg

That's a cable tie and the anti roll bar in your photo. There are some cables behind there, although It's completely safe to drive until you can get the cover replaced, but now there's a bit of the cover missing, if you drive through standing water there's a chance it will tear more.
Difficult to know why the hole appeared in the first place - could have been something you drove over caused the damage.
Here's a good video which explains what happens with these covers in a lot of detail.

Thanks for the reply and video, really appreciate it. I've got a closer photo to show the cables underneath but doesnt sound like an issue for now. I'll just get it fixed at the service. I wonder how much they will charge me for a cardboard cover!?
tesla3.jpg

Yes the drive units etc. are behind there, but as long as you don't expect to go off-roading anytime soon I wouldn't worry.
I've heard of owners being charged around £180 for supply and fitting by a SC, which isn't really that bad as I think the covers cost £150 or so. If you could get the car up on ramps you could order one from parts and DIY probably.

BTW, they aren't really cardboard, they are a type of plastic. You can see from the video they are quite strong but maybe not quite a strong as they could be.

Reactions: ringi and T-Fox