Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montana registration problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla promised to FedEx the necessary registration papers. In Montana, where I live, that means something called a "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin," created and supplied by the manufacturer.

My car registration appointment is tomorrow, but no paperwork has arrived. Weekly requests to Tesla haven't worked. More frequent requests this week haven't worked.

Can anyone suggest who I should contact at Tesla to get the right paperwork?

Any other cars registered in Montana where Tesla sent the buyer the MSO? Tesla REALLY doesn't not want to send you the MSO. If it is lost or destroyed the car can never be titled unless Tesla goes through a lot of Federal BS to create a replacement. In Nevada Tesla sends the MSO to Nevada DMV who sends Tesla a document they send to you to go to DMV to register the car.

Tesla's FAQ appears to say it sends paperwork to the buyer. However, I'd just as soon have the paperwork waiting for me at the local DMV (in MT, the County Treasurer's office). I've sent the correct official address to everyone I know of at Tesla who might help.

If someone has a likely Tesla contact person, let me know and I'll send the address there, too.

When did you buy the car? It took nearly a month for Tesla to send my MCO (by FedEx overnight). They sent it to me, and I brought it in to the courthouse for registration. If they send it to the state, I think you’ll get a postcard?

Honestly, I’d just cancel your appointment tomorrow and reschedule once you get the MCO.

Tesla's FAQ appears to say it sends paperwork to the buyer. However, I'd just as soon have the paperwork waiting for me at the local DMV (in MT, the County Treasurer's office). I've sent the correct official address to everyone I know of at Tesla who might help.

If someone has a likely Tesla contact person, let me know and I'll send the address there, too.

Yes, they will send you the necessary paperwork, just not the MSO. I'm waiting for the Nevada paperwork and a few people have said what I'm waiting for is called an EDRS in Nevada that I take to DMV to complete the registration. If you have not received something a week or so before the temp expires call the delivery center manager and say skuzme...