Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal PPF dilema

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just ordered my first Tesla, a 2021 M3 LR Awd. I read that paint is better than before. I have a lease so I don't want to invest in full ppf but don't want issues at lease return. I don't mind a few paint chips here and there. All my previous cars kept between 2 to 4 years have been ok without ppf (Acura, bmw, Porsche...). I wonder if i need to make an exception for rockers and perhaps partial or full front? I had a bmw 335xi in Laguna seca blue and after 4 years the front looked like it was sandblasted! I know I follow cars too closely in the winter... So that bad paint in the bmw is getting me worried. Any recommendations appreciated

So I just ordered my first Tesla, a 2021 M3 LR Awd. I read that paint is better than before. I have a lease so I don't want to invest in full ppf but don't want issues at lease return. I don't mind a few paint chips here and there. All my previous cars kept between 2 to 4 years have been ok without ppf (Acura, bmw, Porsche...). I wonder if i need to make an exception for rockers and perhaps partial or full front? I had a bmw 335xi in Laguna seca blue and after 4 years the front looked like it was sandblasted! I know I follow cars too closely in the winter... So that bad paint in the bmw is getting me worried. Any recommendations appreciated
Partial front should be more than enough.I have that and lived through last winter in Ottawa with no issues. Don't over think it .

No did not do the rockers. Did full front bumper and up the hood about 18" and the front lights and fogs.
Tesla gave me huge front mud flaps that actually hit the pavement when installed.They come in two parts so I had the smaller part installed on the front, nothing on the rear.

I'm in Ottawa and used to commute weekly to Montreal. I would basically spend a week in MTL and a week in Ottawa before Covid. My 2015 Lexus Is350 has partial front clearshield on the hood, mirrors and quarters. The front bumper looks sandblasted as well. Hood fairly chipped up, rockers look sand blasted by the wheels. On its 4th windshield too from rock chips lol. I have a 2005 BMW M3 as well, that's pretty much just babied and summer driven only and the paint is basically flawless on it.

That being said, I took delivery of my white Model 3 on June 30. I had an appointment to have the whole car wrapped in Xpel clearshield in late July, so I actually didn't use the car that much to keep from any potential paint damage. The first week I had paint flake off my rear bumper. Scheduled an appointment, sent pictures via the app and Tesla changed it without any hassle a few days before my wrap appointment. Worked out in my favor because the color match is better on the new one.

I decided to run Rally Armor mudflaps as well, at least for the winter, but I kind of like the look.

I'm in Ottawa and used to commute weekly to Montreal. I would basically spend a week in MTL and a week in Ottawa before Covid. My 2015 Lexus Is350 has partial front clearshield on the hood, mirrors and quarters. The front bumper looks sandblasted as well. Hood fairly chipped up, rockers look sand blasted by the wheels. On its 4th windshield too from rock chips lol. I have a 2005 BMW M3 as well, that's pretty much just babied and summer driven only and the paint is basically flawless on it.

That being said, I took delivery of my white Model 3 on June 30. I had an appointment to have the whole car wrapped in Xpel clearshield in late July, so I actually didn't use the car that much to keep from any potential paint damage. The first week I had paint flake off my rear bumper. Scheduled an appointment, sent pictures via the app and Tesla changed it without any hassle a few days before my wrap appointment. Worked out in my favor because the color match is better on the new one.

I decided to run Rally Armor mudflaps as well, at least for the winter, but I kind of like the look.
Do you have a pic of what those mudflaps look like on your car? Where in Ottawa did you buy them?

Do you have a pic of what those mudflaps look like on your car? Where in Ottawa did you buy them?

I ordered them directly from Rally Armor, only took a couple days to show up.

E96BD374-1C99-4206-BC28-FE8B09CE87F5.jpeg
FD8B21B4-2ED0-4D2F-B51C-3E861F148CE9.jpeg

Reactions: Biscuitman
I do PPF here in Montreal and I hate to say it but I see no reason to do PPF on a leased Tesla

They may not even let you buy it back if you want to. Why spend money to protect a car that is not yours, yes mudflaps make sense.

I leased my Tesla through a private leasing company and may buy it back or resell it so PPF is definitely needed.

Just my opinion....

I do PPF here in Montreal and I hate to say it but I see no reason to do PPF on a leased Tesla

They may not even let you buy it back if you want to. Why spend money to protect a car that is not yours, yes mudflaps make sense.

I leased my Tesla through a private leasing company and may buy it back or resell it so PPF is definitely needed.

Just my opinion....
Agreed with the fact I won't be buying it back. I was more wondering on cost of ppf vs potential cost of lease return penalty on let's say missing rocker paint or excess front chips... And true and can't (and won't want to) buy it back. I guess I'll use the money for the power boost!

Agreed with the fact I won't be buying it back. I was more wondering on cost of ppf vs potential cost of lease return penalty on let's say missing rocker paint or excess front chips... And true and can't (and won't want to) buy it back. I guess I'll use the money for the power boost!

I some how missed the part about it being leased. In that case, ya, I wouldn’t bother spending money on something that I can’t really remove and keep, for a car thats not mine. In Ottawa, a full wrap is around 5k, so not really cheap.

But if you buy accel boost, you can’t take it with you either...

That being said, going against what I said about spending on stuff for a lease, I would def buy accel boost, I bought it first day I had my car. Its a lot of fun. My brother has an M3P, off the line, he takes off, but from a roll, its pretty much the same