Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More range after 6.2 update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, I think I might just be using less energy with the new update. But it might also be that I have had the car long enough now (4.5 months) that I am not hammering it as much as usual. My usage has dropped from approx 355 down to 325kWh. I have really noticed it in the last two weeks. I still do give it the go lots. So I am not sure. As far as the rated range, my daily use is low enough that I am not really paying too much attention to that. More to the consumption, unless on a trip. And it seems to be slowly and consistently dropping. But there are so many variables, it is hard to tell what might be the cause.

I think you meant 325 Wh/mile. :)

Oh. I never did notice that the 'line' corresponds to rated/ideal Wh/mile depending on rated or ideal is chosen for display. Thanks for pointing it out.

Here are photos based on your suggestion:
Photo1: in "rated" mode so the line represents rated Wh/mile. It just so happened that the average is 303 so the dashed line almost overlaps rated line.
IMG_0933.JPG

Photo 2: In "ideal" mode so the line represents ideal Wh/mile. Using 15 mile display. Here you can see that the ideal average is less than 280 Wh/mile. Actually it is 267 Wh/mile. More on that later...
IMG_0935.JPG

Okay. Here's a way to compute the averages. For any SOC

Rated Wh/miles = (Projected range (from consumption display)/ Rated Range)* Average Wh/mile (from consumption display)
so in case of photo 1: projected range ~= rated range (and Rated Wh/miles computes to ~303 Wh/miles)

For ideal miles, use (projected range/ideal range)*average Wh/miles (always comes out to 267 Wh/miles)
----------------------------
Another point to note: my lifetime Wh/miles is 304 Wh/miles

Oh. I never did notice that the 'line' corresponds to rated/ideal Wh/mile depending on rated or ideal is chosen for display. Thanks for pointing it out.

Here are photos based on your suggestion:
Photo1: in "rated" mode so the line represents rated Wh/mile. It just so happened that the average is 303 so the dashed line almost overlaps rated line.

Rated Wh/miles = (Projected range (from consumption display)/ Rated Range)* Average Wh/mile (from consumption display)
so in case of photo 1: projected range ~= rated range (and Rated Wh/miles computes to ~303 Wh/miles)

For ideal miles, use (projected range/ideal range)*average Wh/miles (always comes out to 267 Wh/miles)
----------------------------
Another point to note: my lifetime Wh/miles is 304 Wh/miles
I am speechless. And those who know me will confirm that this is an extremely rare thing to happen.
Unfortunately I don't have my 60 anymore (traded it in for my P85D) - I looked at the energy app many many times and the rated miles have always been just below 290Wh/mi. For a while I tracked every mile driven with the RestAPI tools and I even charted the decline of rated miles vs loss of SOC to figure out if/how Tesla might be creating a "buffer below 0 miles" - and my life time average (25k miles) was 316Wh/mi.
Can some other owners of 60s try this on theirs to see if they get the same or different values?
I don't see your username in the Firmware Update Tracker. Are you on 6.2 already or is this a 6.1 build? Which one is it?

Installed a HPWC yesterday on a beach home I own on the lovely shores of Lake Erie. Its about 60 miles from my usual home. I set the charge level to full and
after charging on the HPWC my rated range was 259 miles, at it wasn't even finished charging. That is highest I have ever seen for my P85D.
Wondering if anyone else has seen such a high number?

BTW love that HPWC! Woohoo, crankin 80 amps thru that is awesome for charging speed. I had to "flash" the 100 amp circuit breaker after it was setup as it was
only doing 40 amps max. I read on TMC to do that, and it worked for me. If you have a HPWC and you are only getting 40 amps instead of 80 amps, check the DIP switches (Mine were fine) and
try turning the circuit breaker on and and off on your panel and see if that helps. It did for me. I shot right up to 80 amps after I did that.

Installed a HPWC yesterday on a beach home I own on the lovely shores of Lake Erie. Its about 60 miles from my usual home. I set the charge level to full and
after charging on the HPWC my rated range was 259 miles, at it wasn't even finished charging. That is highest I have ever seen for my P85D. .

I had asked you about this in the other thread where you posted about it, and now I see more information here.

There I asked if you had any reason for charging to 100%, because I wanted to make sure you knew that in general Tesla only recommends doing that when necessary. Then reading here, I saw that you didn't even let the charge complete. A lot of people believe that one of the things that happens when the battery is allowed to charge to 100% is some sort of more complete pack balancing, or more knowledge gained from whatever pack balancing goes on from a complete charge. I may be overstating this a bit harshly, and I'm not saying this to be critical, but it sounds to me like by stopping your 100% charge before it was really done, you reaped all the negatives from the 100% charge, without the positives.

Finally, have you at least driven the car since? If not, please do, for your own good, of course. It is not good for the battery to be sitting at or near a 100% state of charge.

I had asked you about this in the other thread where you posted about it, and now I see more information here.

There I asked if you had any reason for charging to 100%, because I wanted to make sure you knew that in general Tesla only recommends doing that when necessary. Then reading here, I saw that you didn't even let the charge complete. A lot of people believe that one of the things that happens when the battery is allowed to charge to 100% is some sort of more complete pack balancing, or more knowledge gained from whatever pack balancing goes on from a complete charge. I may be overstating this a bit harshly, and I'm not saying this to be critical, but it sounds to me like by stopping your 100% charge before it was really done, you reaped all the negatives from the 100% charge, without the positives.

Finally, have you at least driven the car since? If not, please do, for your own good, of course. It is not good for the battery to be sitting at or near a 100% state of charge.

Thanks Andy! I answered on the other comment as well. I had a really long run after charging last night. So I wanted a full range. Back to normal today.

Thanks Andy! I answered on the other comment as well. I had a really long run after charging last night. So I wanted a full range. Back to normal today.

Excellent! Glad to hear it.

In the future, you may want to consider having the range charge complete just before you plan to set out. I've only had my car a little longer than you've had yours, but that seems to be the advice the old-timers give.

Edit: Reread your post-perhaps you did do that. Great!

after charging on the HPWC my rated range was 259 miles, at it wasn't even finished charging. That is highest I have ever seen for my P85D.
Wondering if anyone else has seen such a high number?

BTW love that HPWC! Woohoo, crankin 80 amps thru that is awesome for charging speed. I had to "flash" the 100 amp circuit breaker after it was setup as it was
only doing 40 amps max. I read on TMC to do that, and it worked for me. If you have a HPWC and you are only getting 40 amps instead of 80 amps, check the DIP switches (Mine were fine) and
try turning the circuit breaker on and and off on your panel and see if that helps. It did for me. I shot right up to 80 amps after I did that.

Please consider adding your new charger to Plugshare. Until the Erie SC is online, this could be very helpful to many of us. I know I could have used it on my trip to Florida in March.