TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Motor configuration 3 vs S/X

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by ps004ynos, Oct 24, 2019.

1. ps004ynos

ps004ynos Member

Just read this article: Motor technology from Model 3 helps Tesla boost Model S range 10%

"The dual-motor versions of the Model 3 have an induction motor in the front and a permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor in the back. The Model S and Model X switch this around, putting an induction motor in the back and a PMSRM in the front."

Curious if anybody knows the upside/downside of the different motor arrangements between the 3 and the Raven S/X? No big difference?

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

In theory:

The advantage for older Model S, X induction motor system is the performance at the expense of range.

The advantage for Model 3, and newer Model S, X Switched Reluctance Partial Permanent Magnet motor system is more range at the expense of performance!

However, in practice, because Tesla finetunes both systems so my guess is for an average person, there's no noticeable sacrifice in performance for more range.

3. hbv2020

hbv2020 Member

I seem to be getting a lot more whining at speeds up to 50, when road noise drowns it out. Let up or step on the accelerator and you can hear the whine. My Model 3 had only very minor noise when stopping of starting.

4. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Pre Raven motors were relatively quiet, Raven motors whines are noticeably louder . I had a 2018 X and now a Raven X, and the whining is clear louder. My 2018 Rwd model 3 whined less bc motor was in the rear and is probably insulated more from the driver and no front motor, so less annoying