TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Motorweek: Roadster road test.

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Jan 21, 2011.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

2. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Very positive review! I like the fact that the narrative points out that "the Tesla Roadster was never meant for the masses"...a point missed by the BBC and many of TM's critics.

3. MDR

MDR Member

What's up with the 4.4s 0-60 time for a sport model? Has there been any third party test that has achieved Tesla's advertised 0-60 times of 3.7 for sport and 3.9 for standard Roadsters? The 1/4 mile times are also slower than owners have recorded at the track, IIRC.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Did they put it in performance mode?
    Did they turn TC off?
    Was the battery pack low on charge?
    Was the pack, PEM or motor at a sub-optimal temperature?

Various factors could have explained why they didn't get the best possible #s.

5. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

I've seen magazines show results where they've tested and gotten the 3.7 and 3.9 numbers including (for the Sport):
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/convertibles/112_1004_2010_tesla_roadster_sport_2011_porsche_boxster_spyder_comparison/specs.html

Comments from an owner on 1/4 mile runs:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/3631-Motor-Trend-2010-Roadster-Sport?p=39984&viewfull=1#post39984

6. MDR

MDR Member

I understand that TEG. I guess what I'm asking is if they weren't in performance mode, etc., then why not. Does't someone from Tesla make sure they know how to operate the car in order to get the optimum result for any given test?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I dunno. My guess would be that a lot of review press just borrows vehicles without requesting 'special instructions' on how to use it. They probably try to test cars in a standardized way without trying to find extra steps to optimize.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator