Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mount Washington NH - Help Request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-- Resolved -- Thanks all

Hello New England Tesla EnthusiastsMy situation.. Road tripping from FL to Omni Mount Washington Resort. The resort has Nema 14-50 wall connectors but not the high power tesla wall chargers that I expected. This wouldn't be an issue however I just found that the mobile charging cable is NOT in its case in the car. Whoops... My range anxiety which hasn't existed just kicked in because I haven't dealt with the cold conditions before.I will be in the Danbury, CT area today and heading to the resort tomorrow..The help I seek is two-fold:1) If full charge on the way to Omni on Friday will I have any chance making the 194 mile round trip without charging? We will leave on Sunday morning so 2 days of rest. (Due to freezing temps I expect not) How much should I expect to need to charge during the freezing nights? I believe the Notchland in has a wall charger. Any ideas?2) If anyone is close enough and willing to loan me a mobile charger for the nights at the resort I would be most appreciative and will promptly return it. I have reached out to tesla locations in CT on the way about renting/borrowing a cable by haven't heard back yet. Hardcore freaking out right now. Please respond with ideas, thoughts, etc. or message me.Regards, Steven Bolton

Last edited:
You will be cutting it short with 194 miles in cold weather, Mt. Washington Auto road has 2xHPWC, which are around 25-30 miles from the hotel itself and you could use them to top off, they operate at 200V/80A or around 16kW. It's a mountain terrain, so your energy usage will be slightly higher even if you conserve energy with minimum heat and low speeds.

The NEMA 14-50s are not a problem vs HPWC if you're there overnight - they charge at about 27 miles of range per hour. However not having a cable is a problem.

It's not yet too cold but the Hooksett-Omni round trip involves substantial climbing over the mountains via Franconia Notch. That round trip is a little tight, especially if you hope to do any kind of side trip while there.

If you're willing to make a slight detour to Cambridge I'd be happy to loan you my cable. I suggest you try Natick showroom or Watertown service center as they'll be more along your way. PM me if you need mine.

Thanks .. I think I saw that one on plug share. Any idea how much the car will use overnight to keep the battery safe? I read somewhere that at 20 degrees it was ~27 hours lost overnight... So should I figure 3-4 miles lost every hour sitting in the cold?

My biggest fear is waking up and no battery to get to a charger.

Thanks all for the rapid replies and support! The Tesla owner community is always a great crowd of people.

The White Plans Westchester Mall show room just contacted me that they have a cable to loan me. Anxiety averted.

Again thanks to all for the assistance, much appreciated.

My wife will be at our place at Bretton Woods this weekend with our Model S (and therefore a UMC). If anything falls through and you need a cable to borrow, email me at [email protected]. We are on the ski area side of the resort, just 1/2 mile or so down the road from the Omni, and we also have charging at our unit (14-50, not 80A) if you need it.