Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Location: New Telsa Owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon folks. I am about to take possession of a new LR M3....Super Excited!

Anyway, I had purchased a HPWC (version 3), but am being told that I can only install that on a 60amp circuit. With that, the 60amp circuit will be a really expensive job. Therefore, he is recommending a NEMA outlet on a 50amp circuit...so I think that is where I am going.

The question is: Do I mount the outlet on the wall near the car...OR...he offered to mount it in the center of the ceiling in my garage, in a box, from which an SO cable (sp ???) will descend and hang down about 4 feet..but not touch the floor. His idea was that I just use my mobile charger ...plugging it into this NEMA 14-50 SO cable...and charge my car. Then when I'm done charging, I just disconnect the mobile charger and put it in my trunk and then wrap this 4ft of dangling cable up on a J-hook, attached to the metal rig that is holding up my garage door opener motor.

Anybody seen this done? It seems like a reasonable approach, so long as I don't leave that thing dangling.

ChargerLocationCeiling2.jpg

Thanks for your input.

That's exactly how I installed mine. It stores out of the way of everything and can reach any car in any orientation. And in your case it looks like the least expensive way to go.

But it's not all that great. The cable hangs down between the cars right where we walk when loading/unloading trunks. I also hangs down right where the rearview mirrors are so I had to move it forward (away from the opener) to reduce the possibility of the other car snagging the cord while backing out.

There's some good discussion on this topic in this thread: Need Charger Location Advice

Reactions: ATPMSD
That's exactly how I installed mine. It stores out of the way of everything and can reach any car in any orientation. And in your case it looks like the least expensive way to go.

But it's not all that great. The cable hangs down between the cars right where we walk when loading/unloading trunks. I also hangs down right where the rearview mirrors are so I had to move it forward (away from the opener) to reduce the possibility of the other car snagging the cord while backing out.

There's some good discussion on this topic in this thread: Need Charger Location Advice
Thanks...yeah...that other thread was actually started by me :) Anyway, yeah, i see those things as potential downsides, but so long as I can string it forward out of the way...it seems like a good option.

I back my car into the garage such that the passenger door is against the wall, and the driver's door is next to my wife's car (she pulls in forward). I hung my Mobile Connector down from the ceiling, positioned so that when I park correctly, the connector is just touching the bumper below the driver's side taillight. This keeps the connector out of the way (it's hiding behind the car, if you will, when someone walks when it's dangling), and gives me enough service loop to make it easy to plug/unplug. The only downsides are:
1. When the car's aren't in the garage (i.e. I'm doing a project in there), the cord is hanging down in the middle of my workspace. Perhaps a hang a hook 7' off the floor so you can reach up and hang the connector from the hook, keeping it (mostly) out of the way.
2. When the Connector is plugged into the car, it projects out into the walkway between the cars, meaning you've got to boogey a little bit to get around it.

It's worked very well for me for three years. The one suggestion I'd have is to make sure there's some stress relief on the cable where it makes a 90 degree angle dropping down from the roof - perhaps use something rounded for the cord to go over so there's not a sharp bend in the cable. A large diameter dowel or piece of pipe attached to the ceiling would be fine.

Here's a few pics of my ceiling install for your amusement. It works fine but you can see some of the drawbacks here.
Best to put it on the wall by the rear bumper like the pic above from @RichAZ/CapeCod if you can.

View attachment 701709

View attachment 701710

View attachment 701711

View attachment 701712
That looks quite nice... I really dont see the drawbacks you are referring to. Yes, you have a lot of stuff up on that beam behind your garage door opener...but then you also don't have a cable laying across a walkway that people could potentially trip over..you know?

Well I'd rather have to step over a cable than swat it out of the way. And I'm usually swatting at it with my face because my hands are full from whatever's going in/out of either car's trunk. 🤦‍♂️
I hear you...I'm pretty tall myself at 6'2"...but the ceiling is 10'....and i might put the cable on a retractable leash that can pull it up into the 8-10ft area.....so above my head...but not above my reach, i suppose.

• Funny
Reactions: Gauss Guzzler
Yeah, I am usually not a fan of the hanging / dangling things for charging cords. I would much prefer just putting at the back right corner of the car and bringing the cable across the back of the car on the floor to plug it in on the other side.

As others have stated, the HPWC can be installed on lower amp circuits no problem. When you install the HPWC, you tell it what capacity circuit its on and it'll limit its current draw accordingly.

From your photo I see no reason why the HPWC install wouldn't be AT LEAST as simple as the 14-50 outlet your electrician is proposing. In fact, the idea of having a hanging 14-50 outlet seems very dangerous in the long-term, especially if you're actually going to be plugging/unplugging your mobile charger every day.

The wiring necessary for a 60 amp circuit for your HPWC is actually SIMPLER than the wiring needed to install a NEMA 14-50. It needs one fewer conductor (no neutral needed), and does not require a GCFI breaker, which is quite expensive.

As others have stated, the HPWC can be installed on lower amp circuits no problem. When you install the HPWC, you tell it what capacity circuit its on and it'll limit its current draw accordingly.

From your photo I see no reason why the HPWC install wouldn't be AT LEAST as simple as the 14-50 outlet your electrician is proposing. In fact, the idea of having a hanging 14-50 outlet seems very dangerous in the long-term, especially if you're actually going to be plugging/unplugging your mobile charger every day.

The wiring necessary for a 60 amp circuit for your HPWC is actually SIMPLER than the wiring needed to install a NEMA 14-50. It needs one fewer conductor (no neutral needed), and does not require a GCFI breaker, which is quite expensive.
This is actually what I have ended up doing. I'm going to permanently mount the mobile charger, as many say they don't even keep it in their car, unless they are going on a long trip. If I find that I need it more often than not, maybe I'll be an extra to keep in my car.
UMCwNEMA.jpg

Reactions: Rocky_H
Those of us without garages don't have to worry about these things. My Tesla charger is mounted on the outside of the house and luckily the driveway is right by the utility's entry to my house so the run of cable to the charger is about a foot. We have two cars (the other is an ICE) and a one lane driveway, so we have to do some jockeying at times.

I would not go out of town without my charging cable. I think they are pretty expensive if you need a spare.

I would not go out of town without my charging cable. I think they are pretty expensive if you need a spare.
Sorry for the OT:

If you mean the Mobile Connector, they are under $300 at the Tesla Store (when they are in stock, which at the moment they are not):

If you can snipe a good deal and are willing to buy used (slightly new) products, they're available off eBay for around $200-$250.

Note: Pay particular attention to those eBay items which are non-US mobile connectors: either European (evident by the charging handle) and those designed for use in South Korea (13A max and 220V only).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andy7