Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work across from the factory and have noticed a couple of different Model 3's now with no visible charge port. One had had some body work to cover it up and the 2nd looked like it had never had one (maybe just good body work). Has anyone heard anything about plans to move it?

I don't think you read my post carefully.

The one I saw with the visible body work to seal up the charge port cover was at the V3 charging location. No pictures allowed there.

The other was while I was driving back from lunch today...

I don't think you're being clear enough. I also feel you maybe don't know what the charge port looks like? It's part of the taillight, so how would body work hide that? Is the quarter panel overlapping just the flap part of the taillight? What you're saying doesn't really make sense.

Reactions: dhrivnak
So the area where our Model 3s have the flip-up cover was covered in metal? Not sure why they would do that. About the only thing that could make the charge port move is for right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles meant for Europe. If Tesla keeps the charge port on the driver's side that makes sense. But to cover the opposite side with metal body work would make the car asymmetrical.

Edit: don't know enough about S and X versions for Europe/Japan to say this was done before.

#12644. I'm not sure how you think I would have gotten into the Model 3 V3 test charger location if I didn't have one.

The charge flap on the first had visible body work to seal it up. Since I was at the test charging station I didn't think it would be good form to mention it but since I saw the 2nd on a public street I felt it was fair to ask the question.

So the area where our Model 3s have the flip-up cover was covered in metal? Not sure why they would do that. About the only thing that could make the charge port move is for right-hand drive (RHD) vehicles meant for Europe. If Tesla keeps the charge port on the driver's side that makes sense. But to cover the opposite side with metal body work would make the car asymmetrical.

Edit: don't know enough about S and X versions for Europe/Japan to say this was done before.

Yes, the charge port cover was sealed up with bodywork. Since they're already shipping to the countries for RHD vehicles and the 2 I saw were LHD vehicles I'm guessing something else is in the works.

If I see another I'll try to get a picture.

Maybe this is what I saw at the charging station; a China test model that was being retrofitted.

I'm starting to question my sanity. It's been a long week.
I don't think that the Model 3 exported to China needs a separate door, like a Model S, and can use the existing Model 3 door.

111.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: compu85