Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Florida Soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

T3slaOwner

Member Extraordinaire
Aug 2, 2019
Pennsylvania
I'm looking for a place to move that won't be so expensive. I'm told there is no income tax in Florida. There is no annual car tax and that I won't have to pay a tax on the car I bring to the state if I've had it over six months. I was told there is some high tax on property, but that might be a rental tax, 6 or 10%, I forget.

These are the big costs I'm worried about. Most of the places I can currently say I live tax the car pretty heavily, either once when you register (6%) or every year (~1%). The income taxes here tend to be significant as well. The lowest is PA at 3%.

So are there any surprises in Florida when it comes to big taxes?

My plan would be to have a property, perhaps a rental of some sort and live there myself part of the year.

I'm looking for a place to move that won't be so expensive. I'm told there is no income tax in Florida. There is no annual car tax and that I won't have to pay a tax on the car I bring to the state if I've had it over six months. I was told there is some high tax on property, but that might be a rental tax, 6 or 10%, I forget.

These are the big costs I'm worried about. Most of the places I can currently say I live tax the car pretty heavily, either once when you register (6%) or every year (~1%). The income taxes here tend to be significant as well. The lowest is PA at 3%.

So are there any surprises in Florida when it comes to big taxes?

My plan would be to have a property, perhaps a rental of some sort and live there myself part of the year.
There is I think a “homestead exemption” on valuation of house I think it knocks $50,000 off assessed value for tax purposes,
We retired there, registered to vote, registered car, got Solar electric system tier 1 level (under 10kilowatt adjusted 0.85) and make 200% of our needs, plus fuel for our electric car, lights, electric water heater, I think sales tax is 6% but reasonable

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
Tons of people are moving to Florida from the North East Coast states. They have super liberal governments, and have taxed their residents to the brink of theft.

Problem is that many of them are bringing their tax and spend political leanings to Florida as well, so soon Florida will begin to raise their taxes as enough "Northerners" set up refugee camps in Florida.

Same thing is happening in California. People moving to Texas to reduce their tax burdens are bringing their California ways with them. Texas is trying to fight them off, but they keep coming in waves.

Brother moved from California to Florida. Was able to sell his home at a huge profit and pay for his Florida house in cash...no more mortgage payments. His electric bill is 1/3, pays $1 LESS for gasoline, food is cheaper (also no tax). His car registration are 1/4, school taxes much less and total property taxes far less than the fabled Prop. 13 taxes he was charged in California.

Friends have boats, motorhomes and even private airplanes. Cost to fuel, register and maintain make them super affordable. Motels for traveling are inexpensive and usually include free breakfasts.

He trades a 12 pack of beer with a local fisherman for a bucket of fresh shrimp. Gin and Tonic (his drink) cost $1.65 at his local restaurant.

His retirement place has lots of immenities and is active socially. Most people with two houses, register all their vehicles in Florida.

Not as many Tesla down there. Gas for ICE vehicles is dirt cheap, and the air is relatively clean.

On the other hand, it is hot and muggy.

Florida really should be considered as multiple tax jurisdictions.
Sales tax varies depending on location.
Property taxes vary depending on jurisdiction.
Despite popular conceptions that some places favor 'tax and spend' while others choose to go without municipal services teh reality is more complex.
In only Miami-Dade County there is Coral Gables with excellent services and an activist local government and Hialeah with few services adn a strong right orientation. Coral Gables has among the lowest property taxes in the county while Hialeah is one of the highest.
As a Tesla owner Coral Gables is convenient because all municipal parking has EV charging and the city has a large fleet of Nissan Leaf. Hialeah is 100% ICE-bound.
When you have decided on a Florida location preference you can fine-tune the location based on your specific criteria.
There are EV and renewable enthusiast area in various parts fo the state, including ones that bend towards whatever political persuasion you favor.
Everywhere in Florida is quite tax friendly, especially in comparison to almost anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Florida has no state income tax and property tax around 1% which is a lot lower that the north east. Many people live and are moving to Florida because of the lower tax and cost of living.

Also there are plenty of houses for sale and thousands more being built ever day. I live in Sarasota FL for 40 years. It went from a little quiet gulf side town to the 13th largest county in Florida. Cost of living is great and plenty of jobs in Tech, Healthcare and services.

Tons of people are moving to Florida from the North East Coast states. They have super liberal governments, and have taxed their residents to the brink of theft.

Problem is that many of them are bringing their tax and spend political leanings to Florida as well, so soon Florida will begin to raise their taxes as enough "Northerners" set up refugee camps in Florida.

Same thing is happening in California. People moving to Texas to reduce their tax burdens are bringing their California ways with them. Texas is trying to fight them off, but they keep coming in waves.

I think you will find folks moving to FL from the NE states don't say long. 10 to 20 years and they go back home in a box.

Brother moved from California to Florida. Was able to sell his home at a huge profit and pay for his Florida house in cash...no more mortgage payments. His electric bill is 1/3, pays $1 LESS for gasoline, food is cheaper (also no tax). His car registration are 1/4, school taxes much less and total property taxes far less than the fabled Prop. 13 taxes he was charged in California.

CA is famously a high tax state, hence Prop 13, to put a limit to it constitutionally.

Friends have boats, motorhomes and even private airplanes. Cost to fuel, register and maintain make them super affordable. Motels for traveling are inexpensive and usually include free breakfasts.

He trades a 12 pack of beer with a local fisherman for a bucket of fresh shrimp. Gin and Tonic (his drink) cost $1.65 at his local restaurant.

I didn't say I'd spend a lot of time there, but you are making it sound good. I've got a great grill recipe for shrimp.

His retirement place has lots of immenities and is active socially. Most people with two houses, register all their vehicles in Florida.

Not as many Tesla down there. Gas for ICE vehicles is dirt cheap, and the air is relatively clean.

On the other hand, it is hot and muggy.

Can't be worse than where I'm coming from. A girlfriend's dad had a chair/umbrella concession at Fort Lauderdale. He was complaining about the temperature being mid-80s! I would have killed for mid-80 for the last four weeks here.

Florida really should be considered as multiple tax jurisdictions.
Sales tax varies depending on location.
Property taxes vary depending on jurisdiction.
Despite popular conceptions that some places favor 'tax and spend' while others choose to go without municipal services teh reality is more complex.
In only Miami-Dade County there is Coral Gables with excellent services and an activist local government and Hialeah with few services adn a strong right orientation. Coral Gables has among the lowest property taxes in the county while Hialeah is one of the highest.
As a Tesla owner Coral Gables is convenient because all municipal parking has EV charging and the city has a large fleet of Nissan Leaf. Hialeah is 100% ICE-bound.
When you have decided on a Florida location preference you can fine-tune the location based on your specific criteria.
There are EV and renewable enthusiast area in various parts fo the state, including ones that bend towards whatever political persuasion you favor.
Everywhere in Florida is quite tax friendly, especially in comparison to almost anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon line.

I don't know what it means "Hialeah is 100% ICE-bound"? You mean there is no charging? Does the county charge property tax differently in each section? Or is this two counties?

Any kayakers? I'd be looking for a spot where the kayaking is fun. Maybe I need to go ahead and move to PA so I can do it now, then spend some time looking at FL and see where I might end up.

On the income tax. If you move in the middle of the year, does the state pro-rate the tax you owe? Many states do, but some don't. You can end up owing the full income tax in one or both states.

Any kayakers? I'd be looking for a spot where the kayaking is fun. Maybe I need to go ahead and move to PA so I can do it now, then spend some time looking at FL and see where I might end up.

On the income tax. If you move in the middle of the year, does the state pro-rate the tax you owe? Many states do, but some don't. You can end up owing the full income tax in one or both states.
In a kayak, you are low to the water. It is seriously impressive watching a gator with tiny legs sprint for food.

Reactions: LoL Rick

No income tax in Florida!

I don't know what it means "Hialeah is 100% ICE-bound"? You mean there is no charging? Does the county charge property tax differently in each section? Or is this two counties?
Hialeah and Coral Gables are cities within Miami-Dade County. In Florida sales tax has both State and local components. Many counties do not have local sales tax, many do. If that is an issue fir you it is easy to look up the local sales tax rates. Property taxes are set by cities and in unincorporated areas they are set by the county.

Coral Gables, as I mentioned has a fleet of EVs, has charging in all city parking and has an ordinance mandating EV charging availability for multi-residence housing that have parking.

Hialeah and Coral Gables are cities within Miami-Dade County. In Florida sales tax has both State and local components. Many counties do not have local sales tax, many do. If that is an issue fir you it is easy to look up the local sales tax rates. Property taxes are set by cities and in unincorporated areas they are set by the county.

Coral Gables, as I mentioned has a fleet of EVs, has charging in all city parking and has an ordinance mandating EV charging availability for multi-residence housing that have parking.

When you say "sales tax" do you mean property tax? I don't really care about sales tax. I'm worried about the real estate taxes since they can be pretty high. That and any taxes on the expensive Tesla I made the mistake of buying. I've had it more than six months, so it sounds like there won't be a sales tax on the car. I think someone also told me there is no annual car tax in FL.

With the lack of income tax, it sounds like I'll be better off just moving to Fl and skipping the idea of PA and their 3% income tax. Right now I'm in TN with no income tax to speak of and very low car taxes. But that situation is coming to and end. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Now I just need to figure out what part of Florida might be best.

Reactions: wesley888
Don’t forget to add home owner’s nsurance cost, if you own. Much more expensive from hurricanes. When I first moved here in 2000, it was nearly the same as up north. Now it’s almost 3 times more expensive.

Last edited:

I’d say kayaking is easier on west coast, as Atlantic beaches tend to have more wave action (thus better surfing over there). Over there (East coast), your kayaking would be more limited to the intracoastal waterway and to rivers that feed into the gulf - still good stuff. I fly fish from a kayak and from a SUP around theTampa/StPete/Bradenton areas. Never have had any issue with gators - see more on the golf course. You do need to be careful not to surprise a manatee, as they violently thrash to get away and easily can flip you and your kayak. The biggest threat comes from idiots on jet skis.

When you say "sales tax" do you mean property tax? I don't really care about sales tax. I'm worried about the real estate taxes since they can be pretty high. That and any taxes on the expensive Tesla I made the mistake of buying. I've had it more than six months, so it sounds like there won't be a sales tax on the car. I think someone also told me there is no annual car tax in FL.

With the lack of income tax, it sounds like I'll be better off just moving to Fl and skipping the idea of PA and their 3% income tax. Right now I'm in TN with no income tax to speak of and very low car taxes. But that situation is coming to and end. Oh well.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. Now I just need to figure out what part of Florida might be best.

East coast stays a little cooler because of the Atlantic than the rest of the state. From Jupiter north it’s not the zoo that West Palm south is, although Stuart is starting to get more crowded. I am in the Port St Lucie area, and traffic in snowbird season is getting much worse, but still not as bad as down south. There is a supercharger location here as well. Vero is nice, but growing fast. I’d consider Hobe Sound. Quiet area, close to West Palm and amenities, and the West Palm airport is one of the best to fly out of, not huge like Tampa or Orlando, good parking, short TSA lines, lots of connections.