Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas sales tax (I already paid in Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey yall,

I'm in a situation I might not fully understand. I'm also receiving different bits of info from Tesla and online sources. Here is my issue...
I did a lease buy-out in Florida. Here are the line items from the Bill of Sale I received...

Quote Breakdown
1. Gross Cap Cost: 84,350.00
2. Principal Portion of Payment Made: -19,329.36
3. Cap Cost Reduction: - 10,483.14
4. Adjusted Lease Balance (1 through 3): 54,537.50
5. Additional Fees
A.Sales Tax - 7%: 3,322.25
B. Purchase Fee: 0.00
C. Outstanding A/R: 0.00
D.Property Tax: 0.00
E. Other: 0.00
Total Credits (A through E): 3,322.256.
Total Amount Due from Customer: 57,859.75

I got the title but never changed it to my name while still in Florida. I moved to Texas. I am now trying to get my tag/registration. I am being told I have not paid sales tax on the car. Based on the bill of sale, I did.

What am I missing here?

I would appreciate any insight anyone has to offer. Thank you in advance.

Sounds like you never paid tax in the state where you purchased it, at least that's what the title says. But I'm not sure why you didn't get it in your name when purchasing.
Maybe you can get Florida taxes refunded.

You should read the Texas rules for transferring vehicles into state.

Upvote 0
The sales tax paid should have gone to Florida DMV and they should have given you title with your name.

In Texas you only pay that tax as part title registration, if somebody else collects it for you that means they would pay DMV and do registration and send title in your name. I am assuming FL is same.

Tesla would have to refund that to you.

Upvote 0