Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP2 or Rhythm or ? [what texas power provider did you choose?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla actually recommends a power provider in texas? I am surprised they would get into that at all, other than saying "pick the power provider of your choice". What does tesla pushing a specific power provider look like? Advertisements or something?

You all in texas get a lot of choices, while many places dont get a choice at all (like where I am, in CA).

New Tesla install here, no PTO yet. Octopus Energy. I got back on wholesale as soon as I could after they closed Griddy. They offer wholesale payback for export. With all the price spikes when Solar is most plentiful I wonder if I could arbitrage enough high payback spikes to cover my monthly base fees. While they are not allow to offer wholesale now they have a flat 6.6c+TDU plan for import and wholesale price for export. (with a referral code) we both get 3 months of base fee waived if you want. Unlimited rollover and cash comes out if you cancel. Comparison of Solar Plans

=======================

(moderator note : Referral code deleted, its not allowed to post them in threads here on TMC. OP if you are interested in a referral code you can PM this user for it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla actually recommends a power provider in texas? I am surprised they would get into that at all, other than saying "pick the power provider of your choice". What does tesla pushing a specific power provider look like? Advertisements or something?

You all in texas get a lot of choices, while many places dont get a choice at all (like where I am, in CA).
Tesla rep assigned to my case asked if I am going with MP2 and Texas Power Guide sent a chart which indicates Rhythm is the best deal.I haven't heard of either provider till date and have been quite regularly shopping for my providers when it's time to renew..
New Tesla install here, no PTO yet. Octopus Energy. I got back on wholesale as soon as I could after they closed Griddy. They offer wholesale payback for export. With all the price spikes when Solar is most plentiful I wonder if I could arbitrage enough high payback spikes to cover my monthly base fees. While they are not allow to offer wholesale now they have a flat 6.6c+TDU plan for import and wholesale price for export. Use my code SCH2351 and we both get 3 months of base fee waived if you want. Octopus Referral Link Unlimited rollover and cash comes out if you cancel. Comparison of Solar Plans
Interesting option, thanks for sharing. I had not heard of Octopus either..

I just looked at Octopus, and doesn't seem to be a great deal. Best I saw was .12/kwh plus a monthly fee.

Personally, I am entertaining the idea of switching to one of the free night plans (without the net metering) and then run off the solar and powerwall during the day, and then grid at night (for free) to charge, run pool, recharge powerwalls, etc.

The other option would be a standard net metering plan from Green Mountain. I am currently with New Power TX at .08/kwh all in, but they won't do net metering.

I just looked at Octopus, and doesn't seem to be a great deal. Best I saw was .12/kwh plus a monthly fee.

Personally, I am entertaining the idea of switching to one of the free night plans (without the net metering) and then run off the solar and powerwall during the day, and then grid at night (for free) to charge, run pool, recharge powerwalls, etc.

The other option would be a standard net metering plan from Green Mountain. I am currently with New Power TX at .08/kwh all in, but they won't do net metering.

if you have solar, you will not be recharing powerwalls off the grid at night ,if you are in the US. Powerwalls will only be charged off your solar, during the day.

if you have solar, you will not be recharing powerwalls off the grid at night ,if you are in the US. Powerwalls will only be charged off your solar, during the day.
I’m also entertaining free nights as well. Yes it’s unfortunate we can’t charge powerwall at night. We do have 2 electric cars but our mileage is low.

I’m going to try turning off AC and auto switch from back up to self powered mode depending on wholesale price by automation app like home assistant or home bridge. That might force some export during price spikes. Do that while before trying free nights. Average wholesale with delivery is about 7 to 8 c before the monthly fee.

Last edited:
Well aware. Arbitrage by turning off AC and auto switch from back up to self powered mode depending on wholesale price by automation app like home assistant or home bridge. That might force some export during price spikes.

Yeah I knew that you knew what that ment, I was referring to the following quote:

Check this out..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-184256_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210806-184256_Drive.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 135
FWIW, I received an email from Tesla on Monday asking to confirm if we had selected and MP2 plan or if we were planning on using another provider -- we're in the Houston area.

Our install was just about 7 weeks ago (June 23-24) and we have not yet received PTO, although CenterPoint moved it from application submitted to inspection stage last week (the original application was rejected around July 20 -- Tesla had been inconsistent on labeling our panel model numbers, so they had to resubmit). I believe we must be close to PTO approval and I'm keeping an eye out for the interconnect agreement from CenterPoint... I'm guessing Tesla asking about plans is part of their tracking on what customers are choosing.

As for plans, we moved to Green Mountain's free nights plan in mid June (our prior contract was up then). This was about a week before our install, and we figured we'd be OK on the plan since we could move the car charging to night and get the summer bills before the solar was going below last year's bills. Now that the system is installed, we've been running it in off-grid mode most days and its working out well. Our on-peak / daytime grid draw has been minimal so far in August (<2kWh).

One thing to note about the rate plan is that the cost has gone up about 10 cents per kWh for peak since we moved to it in June. Our EFL price shows a combined REP and Delivery charge of just under 18.8 cents per kWh during peak (plus CenterPoint's fixed monthly fee of $4.39). I pulled up the current EFL on Aug 10 and its over 28 cents...