Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS OEM All Glass Roof Rack on Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an appt with our service center to have this retrofit done. Hopefully they have the parts on time. We were quoted $1132 plus tax. This is in addition to the $550 for the rack itself, of course. They did not give me any details about what all the retrofit involved. I'm not super keen on having the top glass replaced. I could see that leading to problems down the road if it wasn't done correctly (leaks, for example).
Wow that's a boatload of cash ;)

Got an appt with our service center to have this retrofit done. Hopefully they have the parts on time. We were quoted $1132 plus tax. This is in addition to the $550 for the rack itself, of course. They did not give me any details about what all the retrofit involved. I'm not super keen on having the top glass replaced. I could see that leading to problems down the road if it wasn't done correctly (leaks, for example).
How'd your retrofit go?

I took my car in yesterday to have the retrofit finally performed (after 11 months of waiting). The person who checked me in said that the parts had arrived, so we'll see if it gets installed this time.

We have a 2013 Model S with a panoramic roof. Tesla also quoted us about $1200 for the "retrofit" and the actual bar is out of stock and has been for months. I was reading that the Tesla WhisperBar is a Yakima product and the Yakima website says that their SkyLine System - Tower System - Product Class will work on our car. My wife is worried that the glass needs to be replaced during the retrofit so it won't shatter... I'm hard pressed to believe that is the issue. Has anyone put a roof rack on without getting the retrofit?

Hi, I am catching up on this thread. I am looking into buying a 2017 Model S with a glass roof and got very excited when I saw that there was now a solution to fit a roof rack on pre 2019 models. This thread is however giving me some concerns. Has anyone been finally able to install a roof rack on a pre 2019 M S with glass roof? Thanks

1 - Part number.png
5 - rack installed.jpg
Hi, I am catching up on this thread. I am looking into buying a 2017 Model S with a glass roof and got very excited when I saw that there was now a solution to fit a roof rack on pre 2019 models. This thread is however giving me some concerns. Has anyone been finally able to install a roof rack on a pre 2019 M S with glass roof? Thanks

After just under a year of back and forth, I did finally get the retrofit installed on my August, 2017 production Model S at the Chicago service center. The correct part ended up being MS FGR ROOF RACK RETROFIT KIT(1497747-00-A) and the total cost was $825 (see photo of invoice).

After I got my car back, they told me to leave positioning tape on it for a couple of days. The alignment is pretty good, and you can clearly identify the new glass by the markings indicating where to attack the crossbars (see photo). I think the car looks pretty great with it!

Attachments

• 2 - tape.jpeg
    2 - tape.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 3 - alignment.jpeg
    3 - alignment.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 4 - anchor indicator.jpeg
    4 - anchor indicator.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 6 - bike.jpeg
    6 - bike.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 147
  • 7 - bike closeup.jpeg
    7 - bike closeup.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: technoz
View attachment 614883 View attachment 614889

After just under a year of back and forth, I did finally get the retrofit installed on my August, 2017 production Model S at the Chicago service center. The correct part ended up being MS FGR ROOF RACK RETROFIT KIT(1497747-00-A) and the total cost was $825 (see photo of invoice).

After I got my car back, they told me to leave positioning tape on it for a couple of days. The alignment is pretty good, and you can clearly identify the new glass by the markings indicating where to attack the crossbars (see photo). I think the car looks pretty great with it!

Thank You so much for the info 825.00 isn't that bad ;)

View attachment 614883 View attachment 614889

Was it $825 total? Or was it $825 for the retrofit kit, plus $450 for the rack for a total of $1275?

It’s been great. I’ve been throwing bikes and skis up there and haven’t had a single issue.
Hi, is this, MS FGR ROOF RACK RETROFIT KIT(1497747-00-A), the only part needed for retrofit? My MS is an early 2018 model. The service center I went to told me that my car is not eligible for retrofit. And there are just certain models before 2017 that are capable to do it. Unless the Tesla webpage missed something or the guy from the service center just BS for not knowing how to do it.

If that is the only part, I will go back again to show them what is needed.