Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Adaptors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to plug another adaptor into the CAN SR? I'd like to use a new Tesla charger connected the Can Sr directly into my Roadster.

I'd also like to use a Clipper Creek 50AMP J1772 (differnt location). I have a Model S/X/3 Charging Adapter SAEJ1772, P/N: 1067348-00-A . Which converts J1772 to S/X/3 input.

Can I plug the Clipper Creek into the Model S/X/3 Charging Adapter and then plug that into the CanSR....then plug all of that into Roadster?

....or am I asking for trouble with the double connection?

Can it be done-yes
Is it supported-No
I drove 1/2 way back from seattle believing I had a Can Sr and a Car Jr where in fact I had 2 Can Sr and a 1772 adapter in one of them. Never had an Issue and had I not had another Can Jr I would not have noticed.

Best to go right to the source: @hcsharp

For what it's worth, I've used a J1772 plugged into a CAN Sr. plugged into the Roadster about a dozen times and have not had a problem. But Henry can best let us know if we're asking for trouble doing so.

Hi X.l.r.8,

You can, in fact, use Tesla's J1772 adapter with the CAN SR. I've never tried it, however. The reports I've received say that stacking adapters, as it's called, is slightly less reliable but usually works. It's also harder to troubleshoot if it doesn't work. For that reason I don't support it.

It really boils down to how you're going to use the adapter(s). If you regularly visit a J1772 location where you really need it to work or it will ruin your trip, I would buy both CANs. If you don't need to use J1772 very often, then only buying the CAN SR is a good way to save money. I've had customers buy the CAN SR and later buy the JR because stacking was unreliable. Others have had better luck.

I offer $100 discount on your second adapter, so if you buy the CAN SR for $795 it's not that much more to get the CAN JR which would be $595 (normally $695). That's still a few hundred $$ more than a SR combined with Tesla's J1772 adapter.

I hope I answered your question.

Best,
Henry

Hi, Henry,

I have emailed you a couple of times but have not heard back. I want to purchase a CAN SR so I can use my Model S Wall Charger to charge my 2008 Roadster. How do I go about ordering one?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

~Barbara & Rod
Hi Barbara, I responded to your email. Not sure why you didn't get it... I just sent you a PM, and will send an email as well. Sorry for the troubles.