Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SF Bay HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings, I am inquiring whether anyone in the SF Bay area has an original Tesla HPWC that I can charge my 2010 Roadster Sport on as a test. I have an evolving problem charging my car that has been difficult to understand. Charging just stops at approx 55% of battery capacity. The local Tesla Service center has done diagnostics and an annual service and says that my car is fine and there must be a problem with my home circuits or my charger. They recommend that I try charging the car on someone elses equipment. I find this hard to understand since I have the same problem at 3 different homes on their 115 V outlets with the original yellow cord, at 2 different homes with 2018 and 2020 S/X/3 240 V wall chargers and my Sharp CAN Sr, and at a home with the 240 V Mobile connector 14-50 Adapter and my CAN Sr. Still, I want to comply with the service center’s suggestion and eliminate the CAN Sr as the cause. Thanks, W

Unusual to have your charging circuit affect the SOC. If your SOC is maxed at 55%, it may be an issue with a resistive cell(s) in the brick(s).

The max SOC is determined by the weakest brick. Get into the diagnostic screens (tab empty area on vms, 1050 enter, Ess -> SOC screen) and see the delta for SOC min and max. It should be 2-4% delta.

Unusual to have your charging circuit affect the SOC. If your SOC is maxed at 55%, it may be an issue with a resistive cell(s) in the brick(s).

The max SOC is determined by the weakest brick. Get into the diagnostic screens (tab empty area on vms, 1050 enter, Ess -> SOC screen) and see the delta for SOC min and max. It should be 2-4% delta.
Thanks for your input. I am attaching a photo of the screen you requested but I have no idea what it means. The service center said that charging was completely normal.

Thanks for your input. I am attaching a photo of the screen you requested but I have no idea what it means. The service center said that charging was completely normal.

Attachments

• IMG_3047.jpeg
    IMG_3047.jpeg
    485.6 KB · Views: 96
Ugh! It looks like your pack is starting to fail. There’s a huge difference between min SOC @48% and max SOC @91%. As @ML Auto pointed out, post the pics of your other ESS screens. The Vmin will show the brick in trouble.
Connect the charger for 1 to 2 months in Standard mode, allowing time to balance. The delta should come down with some 1% to 2% per day. Had the same issue here.
Even if the pack is healthy, I don’t think the pack can self rebalance with a delta of over 40. That would require a manual balance of the individual sheets.
At this point, I would pull a log set and get that info to a roadster guru. I believe you’re near Jamison’s (first tesla master tech) ev shop.
Good luck and keep us posted of the fix.🤞

Reactions: MCroadster