TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Blog Musk Says Tesla in Discussions to Bring Sales to India

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by TMC Staff, Jun 15, 2017.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla is negotiating with the Indian government about opening up sales and building a factory in the country, according to a tweet this week from CEO Elon Musk. In discussions with the government of India requesting temporary relief on import penalties/restrictions until a local factory is built — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 14, 2017 Tesla...
    READ ARTICLE

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I doubt Tesla will be given special treatment for a temporary relief. And I also doubt India will be a market of any significance for EVs for quite sometime. Not the S or X, maybe M3 has chance to get some foot hold? Many apartments have garages in the ground floor though and chargers can be installed.

But I have to admit, Musk has a huge following among 20 somethings there.

• Like x 1
  3. elasalle

elasalle Show me the M$$3

I think Tesla's approach to India should be via Solar Panels and battery Pack. (for individual and Utility)

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I admire Elon's optimism that it is worth building a Tesla factory in India just for that market. That is really thinking long term. I wouldn't be that brave. While India has a huge and growing middle class (over 200 million depending on how you measure it) I am not sure how many of them could afford even a base Model 3.

• Like x 2
  5. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

You would be surprised knowing how many people can afford a base model 3 in India. Look at Audi, Merc, Volvo, BMW sales in India. http://wap.business-standard.com/article/companies/luxury-car-makers-are-going-native-as-sales-surge-115033000033_1.html its growing each year. With in house factory import duty will not be imposed meaning it would be half the price of these luxury cars, real value!

• Like x 1