Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Says Tesla in Discussions to Bring Sales to India

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is negotiating with the Indian government about opening up sales and building a factory in the country, according to a tweet this week from CEO Elon Musk.

Tesla hopes to avoid the penalties and restrictions currently in place for imports and eventually create a manufacturing presence that would allow it to avoid a tax on vehicles manufactured outside of India.

Musk has expressed an interest in India for years, as it’s home to 1.3 billion potential customers. In fact, he invited India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi for a tour of the Tesla factory in 2015.

Musk said in February he hoped to launch in India this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt Tesla will be given special treatment for a temporary relief. And I also doubt India will be a market of any significance for EVs for quite sometime. Not the S or X, maybe M3 has chance to get some foot hold? Many apartments have garages in the ground floor though and chargers can be installed.

But I have to admit, Musk has a huge following among 20 somethings there.

Reactions: gowthamn
I admire Elon's optimism that it is worth building a Tesla factory in India just for that market. That is really thinking long term. I wouldn't be that brave. While India has a huge and growing middle class (over 200 million depending on how you measure it) I am not sure how many of them could afford even a base Model 3.
You would be surprised knowing how many people can afford a base model 3 in India. Look at Audi, Merc, Volvo, BMW sales in India. http://wap.business-standard.com/ar...ing-native-as-sales-surge-115033000033_1.html its growing each year. With in house factory import duty will not be imposed meaning it would be half the price of these luxury cars, real value!

Reactions: 1 person
Hello, I am an American media producer working with the Indian "Car and Bike" and "Freewheeling" show host Siddharth Patankar based in New Delhi. Siddharth is traveling to the US in January to produce episodes of "Freewheeling" about the electric car industry and he has a strong interest in covering Tesla. I am looking for Tesla Model X, Model S, or Model 3 owners who would like to be featured in the show.

Please feel free to direct message me.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
Sarah