Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1 month old model 3 loses 4-5% battery parking overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New 2023 M3LR Owner Questions:

I just took delivery of new M3LR yesterday. There are no Enhanced Ap or FSD options. I noticed 4% drop in battery energy overnight. Battery was charged to 90% at delivery and was about 80% after driving home. Car was parked inside garage. No WiFi connected. Sentry Mode was disabled. I have not received my mobile charger yet, so car was not charging.

When I checked on car a couple of hours after parking it, without unlocking it, I could hear a faint whirring noise coming from the front near the firewall. I speculated it might be heat pump still working to cool the battery.
Here in S Ca with June gloom, the temperature is consistently between about 55℉-65℉. The Cabin Overheat Protection was turned On, but I turned it off (it should not operate at these temps). After locking the car the whirring noise was still there and later when I came back. I saw some old posts from 2018 on other models to just ignore the whirring noise when car is in sleep. Being an engineer, I want to know what is constantly running and why, and how much power it is draining? I don't drive that much and definitely not every day.

Have I missed any settings related to this? I don't know how I could attach a dump of all my current settings. Just want to know if I am missing something obvious?

I have a service appointment this week for something else, so expect I can ask this then.
Cabin Overheat may wake the car regularly (for up to 12 hours) in order to monitor the temperature. Summon standby may also keep the car awake. This will drain your battery even if the cabin overheat does not activate the fan or AC. The losses are from keeping the HV battery connected and DC-DC converter running, as well as running computer as necessary to support the functions.

Sentry is not the only thing that causes extra drain on the battery.

Cabin Overheat may wake the car regularly (for up to 12 hours) in order to monitor the temperature. Summon standby may also keep the car awake. This will drain your battery even if the cabin overheat does not activate the fan or AC. The losses are from keeping the HV battery connected and DC-DC converter running, as well as running computer as necessary to support the functions.

Sentry is not the only thing that causes extra drain on the battery.
With Sentry off and Cabin Overheat off the whirring noise went away. There was then less than 1% overnight battery discharge which I understand is normal for batteries. I have not yet done any charging. My mobile connector was finally delivered yesterday though.

I do not think so.

Summon is said to keep the car from sleeping, but that is a feature of the FSD.

Restart the car from the security tab in the menu, ”Shut down the vehicle”.
I would shut down the vehicle and not close or open any door after that selection was made. Do not touch the car at all. If you wait 8-10 minutes the contactors in the HV battery should say ”clonk” somewhere under the back seat.
After that the car is sleeping with no noice and no fans. (Just to test that it is able to sleep).
This shut down also forces most systems omboard to restart.
Thanks. I have not tried this yet or any reboots. This morning I was a bit perturbed to see that my saved driver profile had completely disappeared.

Reactions: AAKEE