Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 1 month old model 3 loses 4-5% battery parking overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I park my car outside in the daytime. Temps are between -3°C and -15°C daily.
The car sits there for 11 hours.
I loose maybe 1-2% if that much.
2022 Model 3 RWD

4-5% with nothing turned on, IMHO excessive.
Maybe you keep waking the car up with the app?

Reactions: Ther0ck
There is a long Reddit thread here indicating, at least on the surface, that something in a recent update is leaching power during idle. It may be the HVAC anti smell running per my ticket with Tesla.

I recommend opening a service ticket just to let them know. They seem to be brushing the idle drain off based on my ticket, and I had over 18% in just 12 days with temps well above freezing, and no other configuration factors that would contribute.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Valtor and KenC
Cold weather is not bad for the battery itself, except maybe extremely cold weather.

When the battery cools off the screen will show less percentage. My car seem to “loose” about two percent when the battery cools to sub freezing levels.

I have the car at my work where we have about -18C / 0F.

Last charge (UMC 2kW) wednesday morning.
5CA85A51-48F1-4172-8642-E4463D153560.jpeg

Right now, saturday afternoon I have 54% (About 3 1/2 days later)
24A83C0A-2204-47D1-9D76-0621CAB1C19F.jpeg

I have woken the car up to check the battery temp a few times so both of the points shown above is me entering the car.

My 1 month old model 3 loses 4-5% battery parking overnight no sentry mode cabin heat protection is off weather outside is -3 degrees is it normal or vampire drain ??
When the battery cools (parked outside in freezing conditions) of the car show less range. My car usually show about 2% less due to this. So your real loss is probably less than it looks.

Cold weather is not bad for the battery itself, except maybe extremely cold weather.

When the battery cools off the screen will show less percentage. My car seem to “loose” about two percent when the battery cools to sub freezing levels.

I have the car at my work where we have about -18C / 0F.

Last charge (UMC 2kW) wednesday morning.
View attachment 898142

Right now, saturday afternoon I have 54% (About 3 1/2 days later)
View attachment 898143

I have woken the car up to check the battery temp a few times so both of the points shown above is me entering the car.
How are you getting the HV battery/cell temps? Scan My Tesla?

Post pictures of the “parked” energy screen summary if possible. Sounds like you state it just says Vehicle Standby - which means the car is not sleeping, I think.

Make sure you reboot, change your password, don’t give it to any third-party apps, etc.

Something is probably just keeping the contactors closed. Not a big deal. Just need to get them to reliably open.

I did a few checks to help with this.
-17C outside according to my car.
Batt temp= -12.5C

Shown SOC on the screen = 51%.
59DC21E4-C071-4721-AF86-F23CCDA3E47B.jpeg

The true SOC is the same value as SOC min; 56.2%.
Can also be calculated by NFP= 78.3kWh and buffer 3.5 kWh, and useble remaining = 40.5 kWh.
Remaining total including buffer = 44kWh
44/78.3 = 56.2% True SOC.
Displayed SOC at normal battery temperatures is about 2% less than true SOC at 55% SOC.
If the battery had normal temperature the displayed SOC would be about 54% (56-2).

The difference between 54 and 51% is the reduced display of SOC due to having a cold battery.
FB9EE521-741A-4F31-BB67-771487BD28E4.jpeg

This might not be an actual loss though. I'll lose battery percent when it gets cold, but then when I kick the heat on and the battery starts to warm up, the battery percentage will grow again.

Yes in general ignore what you see the first night, leave the car, don’t drive it, and then check after the second night (be sure to log the results of the first night so you can get accurate deltas). I guess I can’t repeat this enough.

But yeah ignore the first 6-12 hours for sure. If nothing else you have to worry about re-estimation issues, even if temp is not a concern.

Last edited: