Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3 charges but stops before it reaches the limit I’ve set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's plugged in and the charging circuit is hot but the battery is NOT up to the fill percentage 80% according to my app and TeslaFi.

Says charging stopped. I hit start charging and nothing happens. It should charge up to 200 mi range but is stopped at 175 for no apparent reason.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Oh I'm on ver 2.1 still.

No problem until this came up.

Can you please not exaggerate in your titles?

I believe that you are saying that the car charged up to 175 miles and then stopped. How long has it been since it stopped. Have you tried more than one charger? Is this consistent? Can you drive for awhile and then only charge to 175 miles?

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190703-115453_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20190703-115453_Tesla.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 209

I believe that you are saying that the car charged up to 175 miles and then stopped. How long has it been since it stopped. Have you tried more than one charger? Is this consistent? Can you drive for awhile and then only charge to 175 miles?
=========
I drove it and it had about 120 miles of charge left. Parked in the driveway and hooked it up to my charger. ( 120 volt ). Always charged up just fine ... until now.

I posted a pic of my app screen.

It started charging like normal but when I checked my app today it shows it has stopped at 174 miles of range and is not up to the limit line. Outlet is on a time clock and is hot. Should have been charging this morning. It is supposed to stop charging at 1 pm until 8 pm and then resume if needed. This is first time it didn't work. I'm wondering what would stop it from charging.

=========
I drove it and it had about 120 miles of charge left. Parked in the driveway and hooked it up to my charger. ( 120 volt ). Always charged up just fine ... until now.

I posted a pic of my app screen.

It started charging like normal but when I checked my app today it shows it has stopped at 174 miles of range and is not up to the limit line. Outlet is on a time clock and is hot. Should have been charging this morning. It is supposed to stop charging at 1 pm until 8 pm and then resume if needed. This is first time it didn't work. I'm wondering what would stop it from charging.
OK, I have a couple of things that might help. For starters, most 120v timers aren't really up to the task of switching the circuit off while under heavy load. You may have killed it. If you really need this, you'll have to get one a heavy duty one that's designed to switch 1500W on and off. Better to either use the car's timer or get an EVSE that has a timing function built into it.

Secondly, once the car has gone to sleep, having the power turned on externally will not wake the car up and therefore charging won't start. I have an EVSE that has a timer built into it, but I have to set the car's timer as well, or it won't start charging at the programmed time.

How hot is the outlet? Warm is OK, but hot (like you can't keep your hand touching it) is REALLY bad, and you should stop using it immediately.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
OK, I have a couple of things that might help. For starters, most 120v timers aren't really up to the task of switching the circuit off while under heavy load. You may have killed it. If you really need this, you'll have to get one a heavy duty one that's designed to switch 1500W on and off. Better to either use the car's timer or get an EVSE that has a timing function built into it.

Secondly, once the car has gone to sleep, having the power turned on externally will not wake the car up and therefore charging won't start. I have an EVSE that has a timer built into it, but I have to set the car's timer as well, or it won't start charging at the programmed time.

How hot is the outlet? Warm is OK, but hot (like you can't keep your hand touching it) is REALLY bad, and you should stop using it immediately.
==========
Got it fixed.

My owner had me take some trash out so as long as I was out there in the heat I decided to go ahead and get some pics.

Noticed a red exclamation point at the top of the screen and it told me to check the external source.
So I went and hit the manual switch to make it hot all the time and then it worked.
It is an industrial timer that can handle much more load than the Tesla. I have it charge at 12 amps 120 volts so the timer is nowhere near it's max current. Can handle 30 amp loads.

Question now is why it isn't switching for those little switches that you have to put on at the start and stop time. It's an old fashioned mechanical timer. Put it on 18 years ago for Xmas lites.

New solid state timers are too expensive. I don't want to buy one of those unless I have to.
This one certainly shouldn't be burnt up. That's for sure. And when I put it on manual I got current flowing.

The car also told me to unplug and plug in again and I did that but it didn't seem to fix it. But maybe it takes awhile, dunno.

Anyhow, thanks to all who have responded. Issue appears to be resolved and my trouble may lie elsewhere in my time clock. I will have to check into that.

Reactions: davewill

=======
How did I exaggerate? I said my 3 won't charge and that is the exact issue I was having.

=======
How did I exaggerate? I said my 3 won't charge and that is the exact issue I was having.

I cannot speak for others. There have been numerous cases where a Model 3 would not charge, period. Not from any source. We were in that camp earlier this year. Other owners of Models S and X have had similar experiences.

As you can see from various responses to your concern, there are a number of folks who are quite knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to temperamental issues with our vehicles.

In my opinion only, your headline bordered on the sensational, leading us to believe that your car would not take a charge at all from any source. Instead, your home set up with a Christmas light timer somehow threw a wrench into your charging ability. There is an ocean of difference between the car's charging system being totally kaput and an unconventional home set up that failed.

I also would have gone to another charging spot away from home like a Supercharger or a destination charger to see if the car would charge from those sources before I posted on here. In other words, do a little more detective work before asking for help.

Then, perhaps a gentler, more thorough headline like, "My car stops charging at home with an external timer" would have been more helpful and on point.

Regardless, glad that you were able to figure out the problem.

I cannot speak for others. There have been numerous cases where a Model 3 would not charge, period. Not from any source. We were in that camp earlier this year. Other owners of Models S and X have had similar experiences.

As you can see from various responses to your concern, there are a number of folks who are quite knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to temperamental issues with our vehicles.

In my opinion only, your headline bordered on the sensational, leading us to believe that your car would not take a charge at all from any source. Instead, your home set up with a Christmas light timer somehow threw a wrench into your charging ability. There is an ocean of difference between the car's charging system being totally kaput and an unconventional home set up that failed.

I also would have gone to another charging spot away from home like a Supercharger or a destination charger to see if the car would charge from those sources before I posted on here. In other words, do a little more detective work before asking for help.

Then, perhaps a gentler, more thorough headline like, "My car stops charging at home with an external timer" would have been more helpful and on point.

Regardless, glad that you were able to figure out the problem.
============
The timer is an industrial timer. It was used for Xmas lites, but it is a heavy duty timer. Not a typical Home Depot light timer.