Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding Charging (Auto) once it detects battery is below the charge limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was hoping to get some insight from the community on this. Currently drive a Model S 21 refresh. Still loving it don't think that will stop. Here the question. Recently apartment has installed a level 2 charger (Xeal) that I use. No issue in charging to the charging limit which I set to 80%. The issue I get is due to battery drain due to sentry mode and temp to name a few it drops avg 5% / day. I was hoping that when I leave it plugged in it would monitor and level it off to 80% I will tell u sometimes and very few that it does do that but most times once it reaches 80% it stops even though I try to issue the start charging button on the mobile app and but I get a failure msg. saying I should check the car. Any idea? Thank you in advance.

If you leave sentry on the car will indeed consume energy and it will eventually decide to start charging again. However, the lowering of displayed SOC% that is just because the battery cools will not cause the car to charge. In that case the car is still at say 80% SOC but displays something like 76% to let you know that you will only be able to consume the equivalent of 76%. Its's not missing any energy so it won't charge more.

If you leave sentry on the car will indeed consume energy and it will eventually decide to start charging again. However, the lowering of displayed SOC% that is just because the battery cools will not cause the car to charge. In that case the car is still at say 80% SOC but displays something like 76% to let you know that you will only be able to consume the equivalent of 76%. Its's not missing any energy so it won't charge more.
Thank you but the issue for me it is not deciding to charge again even after a couple of days.

Your car will consume about 5 kWh / day when Sentry is left on.

If you have it set to 80% SOC it will not top off until the SOC drops to around 70-75%

most times once it reaches 80% it stops even though I try to issue the start charging button

Confused by this statement: If you have the SOC set to 80% telling it to start will fail since the car is at the specified limit.

It should start charging after it drops a few %. However if the EVSE is somehow timing out in that time the car will not be able to restart the charging.

Are you really sitting at a public charger plugged in for days? That’s generally bad karma.

Reactions: ucmndd
You need to go to the car/EVSE when this happens and see what is displayed when you try to restart the charge. Display as in both the charge port (what colors) and/or the Xeal screen.
You don’t mention which app you’re talking about. Assume this is a pay station so you certainly can’t start the session via the Tesla app.
Valid question from @brkaus though - you’re not leaving the car plugged in to a public station for days right???

Is sentry on for that couple of days or off? ON, you would have dropped by at least 10% after 2 days, probably more, and it really should charge. OFF, you really won't lose that much energy so the car might not need to restart charging.
Thanks before I got my dedicated charger I had always disabled my sentry mode but since I have the ability to charge daily I leave sentry mode on. The problem is that it does not restart charging.

Your car will consume about 5 kWh / day when Sentry is left on.

If you have it set to 80% SOC it will not top off until the SOC drops to around 70-75%

Confused by this statement: If you have the SOC set to 80% telling it to start will fail since the car is at the specified limit.
Thanks I issue the restart when it was below 80%. Did this multiple time even below the 70%.

It should start charging after it drops a few %. However if the EVSE is somehow timing out in that time the car will not be able to restart the charging.

Are you really sitting at a public charger plugged in for days? That’s generally bad karma.
Thanks don't want bad karma so would avoid this at any cost at any public charger. This however is my dedicated apartment charger that I pay a flat fee per month. Yeah maybe the EVSE does time out but in a less than a handful of times it has worked.

You need to go to the car/EVSE when this happens and see what is displayed when you try to restart the charge. Display as in both the charge port (what colors) and/or the Xeal screen.
You don’t mention which app you’re talking about. Assume this is a pay station so you certainly can’t start the session via the Tesla app.
Valid question from @brkaus though - you’re not leaving the car plugged in to a public station for days right???
Thanks I'll issue the restart charging in the Tesla app when I'm at the car and check it out and the colors. The EVSE is my dedicated charger station that I pay a flat fee per month. I use the Xeal app simply to start the charging session. As mentioned in a handful of instances this had worked.

Thanks don't want bad karma so would avoid this at any cost at any public charger. This however is my dedicated apartment charger that I pay a flat fee per month. Yeah maybe the EVSE does time out but in a less than a handful of times it has worked.

Maybe other times it’s needed power more quickly so the EVSE didn’t disconnect.

Is there a display on the Xeal?

@dojoyee

I looked up your connector (not charger BTW) and it appears to be a managed connector. Could be a configuration issue in the unit. For example, perhaps it is configured that once charging has stopped the session is ended and you need to start a new session to continue.

Maybe other times it’s needed power more quickly so the EVSE didn’t disconnect.

Is there a display on the Xeal?
Or does the Xeal app say anything to indicate what it thinks it's doing?

I can see other EVSE's like those used in public shutting off and requiring you to start them again.

The other issue I have run into on occasion is that I have a custom made OpenEVSE that I use and normally it's fine. However there were some times during the heat of summer when drawing 40 amps for hours that it would work fine continuously, however, if I left the Tesla for a scheduled departure and it did it's usual charge for a while, then shut off, then charge some more procedure, that it seems something overheated just a bit as after it stopped the EVSE had an error about no ground and wouldn't restart automatically. But everything was fine as soon as I unplugged and re-plugged into the Tesla.

Thanks I'll issue the restart charging in the Tesla app when I'm at the car and check it out and the colors. The EVSE is my dedicated charger station that I pay a flat fee per month. I use the Xeal app simply to start the charging session. As mentioned in a handful of instances this had worked.
Wow, you get a dedicated EVSE and parking spot to boot for a flat monthly fee? Never heard of that model as I’d think the complex wants a higher revenue stream from multiple users. Do you have to pay to charge on top of the monthly fee, ie maybe you could “sublet” your spot and charge others double to charge. 😀

In all seriousness, handshake between the car and the Xeal will reveal the prob when you’re at the car next time it happens.

@dojoyee

I looked up your connector (not charger BTW) and it appears to be a managed connector. Could be a configuration issue in the unit. For example, perhaps it is configured that once charging has stopped the session is ended and you need to start a new session to continue.
Thanks for looking it up. I thought maybe it was a meeting in the Tesla but couldn't find one. Hard to figure out but I'm thinking it will have to do with the EVSE and if it decides to disconnect or not.

Or does the Xeal app say anything to indicate what it thinks it's doing?

I can see other EVSE's like those used in public shutting off and requiring you to start them again.

The other issue I have run into on occasion is that I have a custom made OpenEVSE that I use and normally it's fine. However there were some times during the heat of summer when drawing 40 amps for hours that it would work fine continuously, however, if I left the Tesla for a scheduled departure and it did it's usual charge for a while, then shut off, then charge some more procedure, that it seems something overheated just a bit as after it stopped the EVSE had an error about no ground and wouldn't restart automatically. But everything was fine as soon as I unplugged and re-plugged into the Tesla.
Thanks. The Xeal app is pretty rudimentary. No settings as far as configuring. Just start session end session and status if it is charging or not. I do notice that It is indicating its charging even if when I attempt to restart charging on the Tesla app.

Wow, you get a dedicated EVSE and parking spot to boot for a flat monthly fee? Never heard of that model as I’d think the complex wants a higher revenue stream from multiple users. Do you have to pay to charge on top of the monthly fee, ie maybe you could “sublet” your spot and charge others double to charge. 😀

In all seriousness, handshake between the car and the Xeal will reveal the prob when you’re at the car next time it happens.
Yeah I have to pay 50/month over my monthly parking. I had always used supercharging prior defiantly a good deal as far as cost savings and time but the level 2 charging is pretty slow. Yes I'll look into it. Thanks.