Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car thinks it is in Berlin!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I live in Yokohama, Japan!!

I drove my wife’s puppy to the groomer today, and noticed the display clock was 8 hours behind JST. I tried a few soft-reboots, but still wrong. What gives?

I will drive to Tesla Service tomorrow, if nobody has a quick solution. Will post results. Btw, 2021 M3SR+

Thanks, cj
82E9316E-613B-4C6B-AE6F-9641D343FC8B.jpeg

Fixed, but still perplexed.

I had tried the “press 5 seconds” but no change, then rebooted the wi-fi repeater in the garage, no change. Went down in the morning and pressed the display time again (before heading out to TSC) and time corrected. Japan has no time zones or DST, so no idea how it jumped 8 hours. Oh, well …

cj

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
That's curious.

The car can get time and location data from the internet (but only rough IP address location), from the cell tower (at cell-size accuracy), and from the GPS receiver (the most precise). Was the map showing Berlin? I'll bet the map only uses GPS location data and that the time zone was set to that.

I've never heard of GPS ever being that far off, but it should correct itself within minutes of receiving a good signal. In the GPS receiver wasn't working properly, rebooting the car's main computer wouldn't help but power cycling the car might.

Upvote 0
That's curious.

The car can get time and location data from the internet (but only rough IP address location), from the cell tower (at cell-size accuracy), and from the GPS receiver (the most precise). Was the map showing Berlin? I'll bet the map only uses GPS location data and that the time zone was set to that.

I've never heard of GPS ever being that far off, but it should correct itself within minutes of receiving a good signal. In the GPS receiver wasn't working properly, rebooting the car's main computer wouldn't help but power cycling the car might.
Hehe, sorry, didn’t say the GPS location was correct, just time zone was Berlin on my World Clock app. My phone app also showed correct location (my garage), and my iPhone was correct time. I still can’t think of why the display time was 8 hours off, but will ask service next time I go.

i can’t help but note that it IS possible to send the GPS to Mars! 😉

cj

Upvote 0