Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My DIY Ohmmu Lithum 12v Model S Refresh Battery Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can't attack any legitimate points I've made so you attack me personally. Nice.

Dude, you’ve lost it... your responses are “I can’t read that much” followed by a fairly lengthy post... and then you ask for any counterpoints and immediately discredit the possibility and the n move to saying anything anyone says contrary to you is basically BS “just because”...

Sorry you seem to be having a rough day, not sure how to help you. You seem to believe LFP and AGM are the same, ok, that’s cool, no one is trying to hire for a battery engineering position so let’s just leave it there...

Dude, you’ve lost it... your responses are “I can’t read that much” followed by a fairly lengthy post... and then you ask for any counterpoints and immediately discredit the possibility and the n move to saying anything anyone says contrary to you is basically BS “just because”...

Sorry you seem to be having a rough day, not sure how to help you. You seem to believe LFP and AGM are the same, ok, that’s cool, no one is trying to hire for a battery engineering position so let’s just leave it there...
So that's a "no" on that 8 to 10 year warranty then, right?

4 year warranty with Ohmmu. What kind of warranty do you get with a standard Tesla 12V replacement?
So their guaranteed to last about the same time frame that most Tesla owners (aside from a few outliers who claim they only get a year and a half) would say their factory 12v battery lasts but at twice the price and zero additional upside to performance during it's lifespan. Sounds like a real bargain!

I think we're done here.

Why is this thread getting into a crazy fight about batteries.

My battery last 18 months in Southern California I don't understand why people are trying to convince me otherwise?

Did a simple battery swap and Hopefully it lasts longer. I don't see why the big fuss

That says it all right there.
A lot of claims are made and a lot of salesman speak. For clarity I consider term salesman to be derogatory.
Can you cite a reasonable number of examples of people actually having the lithium last 8-10years?

Seeing as the oldest S is 8yo and numbers low then, then those wouldn't need 12volt replacement till 2-4 years later..........

I installed an Ohmmu earlier this year and I instantly noticed a reduction in the vampire drain. Over the life of my car - 4 years and 100k miles, my vampire drain was a constant 8 to 10 miles per day. After Ohmmu, it dropped to less than 5. So there is a range / energy use benefit.

Also, over the 4 years I have owned this S, its 12v died twice. The 2nd time was when I decided switch to the Ohmmu. So far it's been good, but it's only 6 months old.

My other S just had its 12v die, 22 months old. It will get an Ohmmu.

FYI, I work on lots of salvage Tesla's. I can confirm that aprox 2 years is the normal life of a 12v and sometimes they do fail without warning, although that has gotten better with newer software, it still does happen.

What is the mechanism by which you think the vampire drain is reduced?

So their guaranteed to last about the same time frame that most Tesla owners (aside from a few outliers who claim they only get a year and a half) would say their factory 12v battery lasts but at twice the price and zero additional upside to performance during it's lifespan. Sounds like a real bargain!

I think we're done here.

Thanks for answering my question the way I answered yours. You're right, we are done here.

Yeah, I don't get why this guy flipped his lid over a battery either. I hope he doesn't have an opinion on stereo equipment or paint color. I am glad you posted the video Tony.

I put lithium batteries in most of my motorcycles to save weight. It's not nearly as big of a deal to save weight on a car that's nearly 5,000 pounds, but they aren't my dollars you're spending.

It will be interesting to see how the battery holds up vs. your original 18 month cycle. FWIW, I have had more than one LiFePo battery in my bikes that have died in a year, so I would not call this chemistry magic.

As for the current discharge, I wonder if there is any difference for transient workloads like a stereo with lots of watts. I've seen a few installs in Teslas that incorporate a separate 12v battery. If they had a single LiFePo battery, would they need that?